Because something is simple, doesn't make it easy. I live the "so-called" simple life, but it often takes a little bit more work than the modern life.
Because the fruit trees we planted 3 1/2 years ago didn't make it, I drove into town to pick up pears from a lady who was selling them for .50 cents a pound. I bought 40 lbs/$20.00 worth. I will be canning these pears, probably tomorrow (Sunday) or even Monday. We've been eating a lot of them, PH likes them, as well as, PS#2. I keep finding half eaten pears lying around outside where PS#2 throws them to the chickens. These pears are small, due to the drought, but they are good!
We had company for dinner tonight, two of my sisters, niece, nephew and baby sister's boyfriend. This is the first time we have met him. He was really nice. He loved our goat Curly, and took a picture with him.
I wanted to be able to provide a meal entirely from my food stores. I thawed two organic chickens. PH sawed them in half with the bone saw. I rubbed them with olive oil, sprinkled with lemon pepper and let them sit in the fridge for 2 hours before we cooked them on the grill. The rest of the menu was:
bread
home canned pickles
home canned pickled onions
home canned salsa (sister brought tortilla chips)
corn on the cob (from freezer that I had put up)
home made brownies
iced tea
lemonate
chicken
sausage
gluten free cookies that younger sister brought for PD#1
I was able to bag up the GF cookies (two per baggie) and place in the freezer. YS brought a dozen molasses, a dozen chocolate chips, a dozen M*M from a little GF bakery in Richmond VA.
Our little chicks are thriving, and the two roosters and three hens are trying to find their place in the "pecking order". It can be hilarious to watch.
PH is still plugging away at getting the piers for house set. Only 6 more to go! Yay! After that, he'll be able to place the joists for the floor. I am so happy!
It's still HOT, and our pond level is declining. Pray for rain please!
I wanted to share our church website. Our pastor has decided to brave the realms of the blogosphere
;-) www.fobcc.blogspot.com. Please consider following him and our congregation in our journey to discover what plans the Lord has for us in the areas of worship, ministry, evangelism, fellowship, discipleship and in getting prepared for the emergencies our world may throw at us.
No comments:
Post a Comment