We have water! I am so excited! PH opted to not repair the wiring on the previous pump. Our old pump was a 7.5 hp irrigation pump that was here when we purchased the property (almost 4 years ago). I've been wanting a way to get the water out of the well if our grid electricity went out. We have a generator, but the old pump needed way too much electricity (amps) and our generator couldn't provide it. So, PH (relunctantly) replaced the old pump with a 1.5 hp deep well pump that we can operate off the generator, if needed.
We will work on the non-electric aspect of getting water out of the pump, hopefully soon. So, PH spent this evening flushing the tank, because the initial batch of water that was pumped into the tank smelled really bad. Smells like sulphur, and when we would drink it, it tastes like when you touch a metal fork to a filling. Pretty gross. The water in the tank was emptied into the pond tonight, and filled with fresh water. Tomorrow PH will replace the water filter here in the house, and we hope this takes care of the issue. I am moving up the Berkey filter purchase closer to the top of the list.
I've been able to wash lots of clothes today, and hung most on the clothesline. But due to rain in the forecast tonight, put the last load in the dryer (PH work uniforms).
PDs and I also went through a ton of clothing today, and have a huge stack of clothes to get rid of, and one to put into a tub for winter clothing. Washed sheets for the beds, and the girls cleaned out their loft. I was able to wash dishes, mop the floors, and clean the bathroom as well.
On the list for tomorrow is cleaning out the fridge, finishing the kitchen, making Wild Mustang Grape Jelly, organizing the outdoor kitchen, cleaning the living area and decluttering lots of stuff, plus continuing with the laundry. The PDs will be picking up trash around the land, and cleaning up the playground.
Our chicks are scheduled to hatch tomorrow (13th of August), and tonight PD#1 heard a little peep, at first I thought it was the tea kettle, but when I opened the incubator, sure enough one egg has a cracked little hole! I picked it up and heard a peep! We are so excited. We have a dozen eggs in the incubator and it'd be great if they all hatched, or at least most of them. I wasn't sure our little banty rooster was doing his job. My girls (hens) are bigger than he is, one is a Rhode Island Red and the other three are Buff Orpingtons.
I checked on purchasing additional hens and a rooster yesterday. They were beautiful, but the gentleman was asking $25 a bird. That is way too rich for my blood. On the positive side, these people are fully aware of the potential problems looming ahead. My first group of people in "main stream" society who have it going on. They have two RVs, where family members have moved in with them. They are raising chickens to sell for income, and have a huge yard (1 acre) to be able to grow a garden, and could even have a couple of goats. I mentioned that to them, and the lady said it was in their plans. I was very pleased to see "someone" waking up to what is going in the world around us.
No comments:
Post a Comment