Monday, August 22, 2011

I've just been playing

After reading a lot of stressful news items online, PH and I were both a little perturbed at the world in general.  I came in the kitchen.  I find I bake and clean the kitchen when I am upset.  It's the tiny little area of control that I have. ;-)

I came to the realization that I am not ready for the economy to tank even further.  I've been talking a good game, but I haven't been walking the walk.  I've been playing at it.  I was so devastated with myself.  I feel like the burden of responsibility is all mine, when I know I need to realy on the Lord, and that PH is carrying his load too.  But this preparation thing has been my baby since 1999, I thought I had it all figured out.  I don't.

I need to check for more propane cansiters on Craigslist, plus another grill, and perhaps a propane stove.  My propane grill isn't working properly PH said.  The stove burner on the right of the grill doesn't allow for regulating of the flame.  This is not good.  I had counted on the burner for being able to can and cook without electricity.  Now, I can't count on it.  I also have a Coleman propane stove, but ask me where it's at.  I have no clue!

I don't have enough quarts of food put up.  This is a new venture for me.  I've always made jelly every year, and pickles too, but that's it.  This year I made salsa and a seasoned tomato sauce, but I only have about 3 quarts of salsa, and 10 of the tomato sauce.  I find that I am needing to eat what I am storing now, and now able to save it for an "EMERGENCY".  What's going to happen in the next year when I really can't afford to buy food?

I've made a list and will be discussing these issue with PH to get his input.  I did find that I can order #10 cans of staples from the LDS Cannery in San Antonio.  I am torn if I should do this or not.  I don't  agree with the LDS "church", so should I buy food form them?  I'll be in prayer over this issue.

Today I did manage to can 9 - 1/2 pints of grape jelly.  I have enough juice I made from the grapes to can another 9 -1/2 pints.  I also have my 40 lbs of pears to put up, and then the prickly pear tunas to harvest, along with the nopalitos.  I am still looking for more mesquite beans to dry for flour, and to make into jelly.  I may have to eat biscuits a lot, but I'll have a couple different kinds of jelly/jam. 

I am following the example of another blogger and eating my way through my older freezer items.  I don't like depending on my freezer, so it is a good way to clear it out.  Tonight I made hamburgers.  I had a bag of frozen, pre cooked hamburgers in the freezer.  I made homemade buns and served them with onions from the garden, my home canned pickles and additional condiments.  I was able to make one loaf of bread, as well as, the buns, so I'll make toast in the a.m., and we can have sandwiches for lunch.

I'll look in the freezer in the morning to see what else I have to go through.  I'd love to have more room to store food, but living in 360 sq feet is limiting.  I don't want to put added pressure on PH to finish the house, but I feel desperate at times.  All of our extra money is going towards the house, but it isn't taking shape fast enough.  It's hard for one 44 year old guy to do it by himself .  I am worried about his health, but stressed about needing more food storage space.  My idea is to use the entire container for food storage once the house is done.  Well, most of the container.  I'll be keeping the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom for a guest house, but the kitchen shelves and living room area will be my food pantry (I hope).  Sometimes PH and I don't see eye to eye ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment