Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It was dicey!

I spent several hours today canning pears.  Who knew it was such an arduous task!?  So far, it is the longest process to date.  The pears I received (all 40 lbs) were small due to drought, and didn't take long to peel, BUT to get enough to fill a quart jar, my hand was hurting!  I peeled pears, cored them, then diced them.  Being so small, all that was left after peeling/coring were pieces, so dicing it was to be.  I put the pieces in a container filled with lemon juice and water to prevent browining.  I had the canner on the stove with the jars in it sterillizing, and another pan with the sugar and water cooking to make a hot, medium syrup to cover the pears with.  I was able to peel enough to fill 4 quart jars (all that my canner will hold at one time).  I was thinking it would be 10 minutes, about like jelly, but no!  It was 25 minutes in the water bath canner.  PDs were less than impressed, and only gave me a cursory glance.  I was so proud, and no one patted me on the back!  I vow to not share my pears with anyone!  PH wasn't impressed either! He is now on the list to not receive any.  It looks like it will be me and PS (he actually helped by handing me pears to peel) eating pears this Winter.

I still have an almost full box of pears to can.  Who knew 40 lbs of pear would take so long to can (sigh).  I am thankful for them, but it sure is tiring on these old legs to stand and peel pears, plus the rest of the process.

PH and I discussed my next purchase.  I am cashing in some of my silve (shhh!) - keeping some too.  I want to get a few things on my list which are:

Berkey Water Filter
RV Solar Panel Kit
Food from local LDS cannery
12 gauge shotgun shells for both shotguns
Additional caning jars, lids and pectin
Additional first aid supplies and herbal meds
Chicken feed/hay
Kerosene
100 gallons of gasoline for fuel tank (tiller, chain saw, garden tractor)

I asked PH which he felt was the most urgent.  From the response I received, which I am still mulling over
the answer, I can only assume he could care less.  (sigh) I was hoping to have some direction here.

So, I made a list (I love lists BTW) of things I am needing to stock up on, and tried to rate the priority.

I have Shelter (check) - includes two woodstoves and a kerosene heater (wood we have, kerosene we need)

I have a water source, and an 1100 gallon tank, but a filter would be nice.

I have some food, but more is needed.  I figure I have about 6 months worth, plus seeds, chickens, and goats for food sources. 

Regarding self defense/home defense/hunting (which is PH area) we went over and discussed what is in our collection.  We talked about trading in 2-3 for another style.  I'd rather keep what we have, but have left it up to PH to make the final decision.  I also did an inventory of ammunition, and discovered we seriously need 12 gauge shot gun shells.  I only have 63 actual shells plus two small boxes of 12 ga. buck shot.  So, PH suggested I put that on the list to check out tomorrow.  Dove season starts next weekend, so there are several local sales, which is great.  We are fine in other areas, though I think another couple hundred rounds of 30.30  (deer season you know - wink, wink) would not be out of line to purchase.

Also, on the list is a pair of jeans for me.  I wear mostly skirts, but need another pair of jeans for working around the farm.  DS#2 needs a pair of shoes, and DS#1 could use some clothing too.  Trying to be a good Proverbs 31 woman can be tiring and expensive.

In keeping with preparing meals out of the freezer/pantry (in the house, not the deep freeze).  Yesterday's menu was:

Fried canadian bacon
green beans
mac and cheese
homemade bread/butter
iced tea

Tonight:

Flank Steak/Leftover chicken cooked on grill
Baked potatoes
egg noodles with butter
Fried onions (garden)
homemade bread/butter
Popcorn for a snack (we make a lot of pop corn, more than when we had a microwave)
iced tea

Thursday:

Hot link sausage from Dziuks (local butcher)
frozen broccoli
cornbread/butter
iced tea
chocolate cake/cupcakes (if PD#1 makes them)

Good night (good morning - it's almost 1:30 am!)






No comments:

Post a Comment