Monday, January 30, 2012

Water, Water....

I checked the forecast last night.  It was supposed to be a high of 73 and SUNNY.  I had big plans to knock out a lot of laundry.  I hang my clothes out to dry, so when it's rainy, I can't do too much laundry.  Well, today dawned grey and RAINY!  I was so shocked.

A couple of days ago we received 3 inches of rain.  Actually, the past couple of months we have received a lot of rain in my opinion, about 8 inches.  The rain was late this year according to my farm journal, but it has been relentless.  I blame our building project.  It has been dry for about a year, but as soon as, we started building our house it started raining.  It does not bode well for the house, since it is not dried in yet.  I'll give it another month and I expect it to be, with the grace of God.

Anyway, the other day when we received 3 inches of rain, I explained to the kids with the planned square footage of the roof on the new house, we could have collected 2000 gallons off the house roof alone.  Additional water could have been collected off the barn.  It is on "the list" to have a rain water catchment system in place to help water the garden and animals during the summer months.

I am never sure if the kids are really listening to me, but they came in to tell me this afternoon, that they collected five gallons of water from the barn roof.  They had lined up all sorts of containers and then consolidated the water into the 5 gallon igloo water container.  They were able to fill up the chicken waterer with the rain they collected.  They were very excited.  I guess they were listening after all!

3 comments:

  1. I as a parent, am always prod when my kids listen to me. Now the wife on the other hand??? End of that comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wa stunned on how little rain it took to fill my rain barrels. I hope to add at least two more 50 galllon barrels for rain collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think listening to a parent is selective. If the topic is of interest, the child or teenager will then go forth and complete the assignment or task. Looks like your kids were listening and totally enjoyed themselves. They were able to capture some water with containers. This was their way of contributing and that is a good thing! I bet they can't wait until the can do the same when the roof is complete.

    ReplyDelete