Saturday, January 21, 2012

Update on "What I've done to prep this week"

This is my entry on another blog when the blog author asked the question of what everyone has done this week to prepare:

1) Ordered additional seed for our seed bank, and our garden from Baker Creek Seed
2) Worked on gun safety, loading and target practice with family
3) Ordered 2 DVDs (one Stargate Season 7 – okay it’s a stress relief, and a DVD “Homestead Blessings: The Art of Soapmaking”
4) Prepared garden
5) Purchased one item from each category on Master List
6) Made bucket toilet, been having everyone use it, then showing kids how to deal with human waste.

That's about it....what have you done lately to prepare?

5 comments:

  1. I bottled an Amber Lager beer, got a Wheat beer fermenting. Bought 2 solar spot lights cheap and they will do for a little light but not what I'm looking for in my yard. Worth the $10.00 but not by much. Added another 55 gallon water barrel, ordered my solar oven hopefully it will be here around the 1st of Feb. I tested an old Thermos 1 gal. insulated jug for how long it will retain heat and it did much better than I expected water was over 100 degrees F. after 16-20 hours. This will be great for a spit bath and washing hands if the SHTF scenario. If I can use my solar oven for boiling water and the jugs as portable water heat retainers. I'll be good to go!
    I tested my canned bacon and was a little disappointed as it was lacking flavor when cooked. Better than no bacon but I'm going to work on learning to make my own bacon from scratch.
    Froze 7+ pounds of Jack and cheddar cheese for my southern Mac recipe. Jack and cheddar work better than all cheddar of the original recipe as it's not oily or breaks like a cheddar only recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good productivity. You like beer huh? LOL

      Delete
  2. Obama's state of the union address is up this week :)
    It's the only way I can listen to him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to have more than 1 beer for me to listen/watch the state of the union address. How long have you been making your own beer? Adventures, sounds like you have been extremely busy. I agree with you on the Mac recipe, it's better with the Jack and cheddar mixture.

      Delete
  3. Sandy I'd say about 9 months or so making beer. I started with a MR. Beer kit, then I got a basic setup of a 5 gallon brew and bottling buckets over the Internet. I found a gal that carries all kinds of homebrew and cheese making products about a mile from my house and I really got into brewing. Brewing beer is fun and if you can boil water you can make beer! Next month I hope to make an All-grain beer from scratch.

    ReplyDelete