Monday, January 16, 2012

Random Life Happenings

Ham and Bean Soup
It doesn't seem like it has been so long since I posted.  I really like to post every night, but don't want to bore anyone with the mundane activities here at the farm.  But I have a bad memory, and I like to post things for my mom to see.

This weekend was very productive.  The garden area was re-fenced.  Previously, I had attempted to relieve PH of the work and I used what we had.  I am a tightwad and didn't want to buy fencing.  There are some things that just NEED to be done, and fencing a garden to protect it from destructive goats is one of those things.  So, after a year, PH bought sturdy goat fencing and re-fenced the garden, putting in new posts and setting them in concrete.  I have a beautiful fenced area now.  I am so excited, and am busily planning what we should plant in another month.  February is normally our coldest month, so I want to wait until the chance of a freeze is done, but I need to get an early jump to avoid the extreme hot weather, and to ensure we get a good harvest to can for the next year.

Last night and tonight, PH completed tilling the garden.  I need to dump in the chicken and horse manure and rake it through and let it sit for the next month and a half.  I want to try the new "Back to Eden" gardening method, which is basically a no till method, but until I can come across a good source of mulch and start composting regularly, I'll have to continue the regular way.

PH and the kids did an excellent job of cleaning up the garden area.  I concentrated on "trying" to declutter and reclaim this container we call a home.  I am very overwhelmed with the lack of storage space, the need to continue stocking my pantry, and the dirt that is literally dragged or blown in here daily.  I sweep or vacuum daily, as the sand and firewood debris makes a big mess.

Other than church on Sunday, we spent the entire weekend at home.  I used this time to let the animals out of their pens to roam free.  So, we had a field full of goats, horses, pigs, chickens, and a calf.  It was beautiful.  The hawks were circling overhead and calling.  Probably, hoping for one of my chickens.  The cats were stalking the gopher holes, while the lazy dogs slept the time away.  Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day, with a high of 70!  The sun was out and it was perfect.  I was able to complete lots of laundry and hang it on the clothesline.  I LOVE being able to stay home and accomplish projects on our homestead.

PH is building a scaffolding to work on the upper part of the roof on the house.  Progress is low, and I am trying to be patient, it is difficult.

I am including some random pictures of life around here lately.

Buff Jumper, our young rooster


Wilbur (left), Fern (center), Charlotte (right)
PS#2 protecting his BumbleBee Boy from the Paparazzi (AKA Mama)

Mending a sweater with a yarn needle, the seam had come apart
Oil lamp, sewing baskets and a few of my Christmas gifts (candleholder and herbs)

A few of our movies

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I am learning about blogging is that what seems mundane to the author, is a delight to the reader! I think you are wonderful, and your life is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of mulch did you need? I have cedar. Not sure if that would work for you or not. (Ann)

    ReplyDelete