Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Getting Ready for Butchering Part 2

I was taking inventory of our butchering kit yesterday.  When I opened it I saw it HAD NOT been cleaned since we used it last.  Now, I KNOW I wouldn't have put it away with out cleaning, so that leaves TWO people (PH and PD#1) as the culprits.  I took out each item (knives, sharpeners, bone saw, etc.) and washed everything in hot soapy water, as well as, the case itself.  I dried everything, carefully, and thought I'd sharpen the knives before putting it back together.  Now, being a good TEXAS girl (formerly a Marylander) I know how to shoot, pretty well, I might add, so these piddly knives are nothing right?  SIGH

I cut myself.  On the finger next to my pinkie, on the left hand, right at the knuckle, a huge SLICE.  I didn't even really notice until I saw blood pooling on the counter.  I started thinking "what has spilled?".  Then I noticed my hand.  Great! Just what I needed, I hadn't even finished the dishes yet.  I had to take a break and get the bleeding stopped, then adding the liquid skin to keep it closed.

So, while I THOUGHT I was getting ready for the chicken butchering, it was really my own self I was planning to butcher.  I sure am glad I cleaned the knife before cutting myself.  After sitting in all that YUCK from the previous butchering, no telling what disease I would have developed.

Lesson learned? I'll leave the knife sharpening to PH.  It's much easier to doctor his cuts then my own.

**I happened to be at a friend's ranch today and we were talking chicken butchering.  She is a PRO at it, and I really wish she would come help me (HINT, HINT).  She started laughing when I told her how we were planning to butcher the chickens, and told me I had picked the bloodiest way to do it.  It figures!
PH made me the killing cone and all.  Well, we've never done this before, so we may decide next time to go a different route.  I'll keep you posted, once it happens, around Valentine's Day.  It may look like a repeat of the St. Valentines Day Massacre.  I'll try not to take pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your tale of woe! I can relate...Seems like everytime my intentions are good, I have some sort of disaster! Hope you heal quickly and stay warm down there, ya'll!

    ReplyDelete