Friday, January 20, 2012

A Bit of Excitement!

We had a bit of excitement here this afternoon.  We "think" someone was trying to rob us.  PD#2 (8 years old) noticed a red and white pickup at the gate.  A man was wrestling with the chain.  She came to get me, and I began walking up the driveway (Brown Bess was with me in it's resting place).  As I came up the driveway, the man jumped in the truck, backed up fast and took off.  I was too far away to get a good description or a tag number.

Sadly, we had gotten lax in our defenses and we are back to being armed and ready 24/7.  Our trained guard dog is back to patrolling at night, and the gate is double pad locked.  It will make it a tad more difficult for PH when he leaves for work in the morning, but the fact that someone would try to access our property through a locked gate in broad daylight says something.  People are desperate. 

We had a round of target practice this evening, and will continue this weekend making sure everyone from the 8 year old up is proficient in loading their weapon of choice, and can hit what they aim at on a consistent basis.

The honeybees were out in full force (I wish I knew how to find where their hive is, I am anxious to "borrow" their honey).  They were all over the stinging nettle, and their little legs were loaded down with white pollen.  I didn't even know that stinging nettle flowered!  Ever since I learned that nettle is good to eat and for medicinal uses, I have been making note of where it grows on the land.  We seem to have quite a bit.  It's funny the things you notice once you are aware of them.  For instance, the nettle, the mesquite beans, the cactus and tunas, the wild melons, the wild mustang grapes, wild blackberries and orange/grapefruit trees at many abandoned homesteads around our area. 

We will also be working in the garden this weekend, planting what we have, and waiting with baited breath for our Baker Creek Seed order.  It's so strange the things we get excited at ;-) New Seeds, new DVDs from Netflix, a fresh box of .22LR cartridges, a gift of venison and taking a trip down the zip line. 

We ran a few errands to pick up a couple of bottles of Kerosene, and to stock up on a few items on my Master List.  It isn't supposed to be cold, but we want to be ready for the next cold front, plus I need to refill the lamps.  It is a little chilly tonight, but not cold enough for the Kerosene heater.  The wood stove keeps the chill at bay just fine on it's own. 

8 comments:

  1. We now know why guns sales are up nationwide. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I still feel pretty safe, but it's happening. Two friends have been robbed. One person was able to get around her automatic gate lock and come onto her property and empty all the fuel tanks she had by the barn. Several hundred gallons of gasoline and diesel.

      Another friend surprised two hispanic men coming out of her back door carrying her t.v.. They dropped everything and fled, she followed them in her car and the police met them all at the end of the road. The guys were arrested. One thing about living in the country. The roads are long, and there is no where to go until you get to the end ;-) I'm thankful to have the ability to defend my family, without fear of arrest myself.

      Delete
  2. Amy, The same stuff is going on here too. We don't live out in the country yet(this is our life long dream) but where we live there seems to be alot more people that don't belong in the area. We had to put a fence around our garden with a padlock to keep intruders out. We also installed a camera around the garden area (wildlife type). Everyone in the house here knows how to use the protection.
    It's not strange that little things excite the family. Were the same way. A new fruit or veggie develops on a plant and were excited about it. The other day a redtail hawk landed on our back porch and he killed a blue jay. We got excited because it's part of mother nature (yes were sick).....lol.
    We enjoy the little things life brings us.
    Hubby is at work and my son is out and about with his girlfriend, so I decided to tackle making bread by hand for the first time.
    Ya'll becareful and keep an eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good recipe on here Sandy. I LOVE making bread. I was making it weekly for our sandwich bread, but everyone is tired of sandwiches and eating crackers (crackers and cheese, crackers, ham/cheese, crackers with peanut butter), so no bread. I had planned to make English Muffins today but it didn't happen.
      Let me know how your bread turns out.

      Delete
    2. Amy E, Venison steak, english muffins, cookies oh my!!!! I guess I know where I'm going, (Just teasing). Love the little ones picture, he's a cutie. Gosh, I remember when my youngest, Dakota (he's 18 now) was that young. They grow up to fast. The other three (step kids Steven, Meggan and April) are all grown and living on their own. Here's the story about my bread. I made the bread yesterday and realized my water was to hot for the yeast. I realized this after my bread failed to raise and the bread turned into long hockey pucks. I was so mad at myself, once I realized what I did wrong. So this afternoon, I tried again and got it right, YAY!!!!!!. I'm getting ready to bake the bread now, it looks good. Amy, since the family is getting tired of bread for sandwiches. Have you tried making flour tortilla's?

      Delete
    3. Sandy, I make tortillas ALL the time. They aren't perfectly round, but they are good! I think the recipe is here on my blog, I'll double check. If you make them, they will get soft if you put the hot tortillas in a plastic bag, the steam makes them soft enough to make tacos and they shouldn't crack.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Thank goodness u were home. (Ann)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had an unoccupied farm down the road that has had guys stealing copper and aluminum out of their barn in broad day light. We will be putting up a fence and gate on our driveway as soon as the ground thaws enough to pound in the posts!!

    ReplyDelete