I thought I'd list my 10 Year Plan here, and back date it to the time we purchased our property in 2007 and if goals were met:
2007: Look for 10-20 acres (mostly cleared), with a small wood lot, water feature (creek, pond, etc.), existing well and electricity (PHs requirement).
* purchased 10.5 acres on a land contract, dry creek bed runs through property, but when it rains it is bank to bank, and it funnels into the pond at the back of the property. Natural drainage (two thumbs up), cleared with a small number of trees for shade.
2008: Fence land, put up barn, move animals - DONE
*also started converting 45 foot shipping container to a cabin for weekend use, at first, then full time (this was unplanned and not in the goal)
2009: Complete container conversion and move into container cabin. - DONE
2010: Complete cross fencing, establish garden - DONE
2011: Secure additional fencing - DONE
Secure garden from goat - still working on this, they are wily buggers
Produce 200 quarts of produce from garden (canning it) - managed to only can approx 75 quarts)
Acquire more chickens (egg and meat) - DONE
Buy Calf - DONE
Buy Pig - DONE (bought 3!)
Start house - STARTED September 2011.
2012: Keep working on electric fencing
finish housing shell by June ??
acquire turkey pullets in April
additional calf or breed heifer in Fall
butcher pig (around April)
Breed boar and sow (keep one, sell rest)
Butcher meat chickens (around Valentine's Day)
Purchase another group of Freedom Rangers (June)
. Pay extra payment on land,
move into house and live in it while completing inside (by December)
Plant pumpkins (end of July)
Plant wheat (November)
Set up fuel tanks on stand, and store a small amount of fuel
Increase food storage purchases
2013: Non-electric water source (solar jack pump, windmill)
Pay one extra payment a month on land.
Butcher calf.
Increase garden size.
Harvest wheat, evaluate yield
Plant larger wheat field ??
grow field peas for cover crop and food source for animals.
Food storage
Church members to build own BO living space
2014: Install solar panel (small at first to run a few items), move towards off grid living.
Pay extra on land a month.
food storage
2015: Be totally off grid, pay extra on land.
food storage
2016: Pay extra on land
food storage
2017: Have land provide enough income to pay yearly taxes.
I'll add more as I think of it, and as PH and I discuss our goals more.
Outstanding that you have such fantastic goals. Some are not even 2 months out. I have become aware that people who prep have set goals. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteIf I may ask, how much was shipping container??
Hi Rob! I didn't know how to reply to you, so I'll reply here and hope you come back to read it, I'll also leave a message on your blog. ;-)
DeleteOur shipping container was $2400 delivered. We went back to get 3 more, and found out we bought a rare 45 footer, the largest are 40 feet. My husband originally planned to make a square of them with a courtyard in the middle, but after living in the container for 3 years, we are getting rid of that idea. It's too hard to cool and heat, even with insulation. Maybe in a milder climate instead of South Texas. But it's paid for, so I am trying to not complain TOO much. I did great at it until my husband starting building the house. Now I am antsy ;-)
I'm not sure we have ten years to plan. But, Ive been wrong before so now the time to start the list.
ReplyDeleteI agree, we don't have 10 years to plan, but I also don't have 10 years worth of money to get everything done. I am making a plan, fully realizing that my plans and God's plans aren't always the same. He knows what I need, and I am trusting that he will keep guiding me to the areas that are important, and forget about those that aren't needful. But I still made a plan to preserve some sort of normalcy and sanity. I've been preparing in small ways since 1999, I wish I had revved up earlier, but I was young and didn't "get it".
Delete