Tuesday, April 24, 2012






Life on the farm has been super busy. Work in the garden has moved to a daily basis to combat weeds and pests. My tomato plants are producing tomatoes, but the plants themselves haven't grown very big. Very perplexing. I also have bottom rot on a few tomatoes. Have to figure that issue out and take care of it - now!
Our pig Charlotte, the one we were planning on butchering, was killed by two of our dogs. It was very sad and upsetting for us all, and the loss of the meat will definitely be felt. The other gilt (Fern) will be used for breeding, and I am praying all goes well with her and Wilbur (our young boar).

PH has been working on installing a second zip line. This one about 300 feet long, instead of 60 feet like the other. He is enjoying taking a break from the house, while we wait for our roofing order to arrive. We have the electrical wiring and circuit breaker box, and he will start on the small amount of wiring we are doing, while waiting for the metal roofing sheets to get here.

I ordered 10 Standard Bronze Turkeys (the heritage breed ones), and purchased 10 Plymoth Rock chicks. Next on the list are more chicks to raise for egg layers and quail. We are very intent on providing/raising the major portion of our food (meat and produce). Also, bought five Freedom Ranger roosters from a friend who had 40 and was trying to get rid of some of them. They are currently in the chicken tractor awaiting time to butcher.



Due to high thefts in the area, we are taking extra precautions to secure our property. Personally, I know many people who have been the victims of home invasions, theft of electronics, fuel, vehicles, livestock and more.

In preparation for additional severe weather and other emergencies I recently purchased candles that were 75% off at Dollar General, plus a case of water, a case of canning jars and a box of new lids. The kids and I have been organizing the pantry, and dividing like items into rubber maid totes and 5 gallon buckets with lids. For example: First Aid Supplies, Lightening related items (flash lights, mini lamps, matches, lighters, oil lamp wicks, etc.) and more.

We have been plugging away at school work and visiting with our homeschooling friends during the week. We have had several park days and we have field trips planned.  The girls have also been working around the farm, with PD#1 working with the horses to learn barrel racing.



Oh! I celebrated my 43rd birthday on the 23rd. I can hardly believe it, life sure goes by fast.

I've been collecting non electric versions of items, and setting up the flow of the house inside to maximize natural light, air flow and more.

PD#2 and PS#2
Cupcakes with Purple Peeps
The Haul from the Egg Hunt and Pinata
PS#2 and his candy - he didn't want his picture taken

3 comments:

  1. Amy, Happy Belated Birthday To You!!! I'm happy to see you and the family are well.
    You've progressed alot on the house, I bet you will be totally done with the house by winter this year. It's a beautiful home :-)
    What terrible news about Charlotte. Do you know what caused the dogs to go after her? I will pray that you'll be able to breed Fern and have more pork for the future.
    Crime seems to be on the rise in our area too. On a daily basis, police cars have been cruising the area in an attempt to be proactive on the thefts and burglaries. We are being more aware of our surroundings and making sure we lock things up even when were outside working in the garden or on the property.
    I love the pictures of PD#1, PD#2 and PS#2.
    Today, I'm going to try making hotdog buns and some more bread. I've found your recipe for Traditional White Bread and thought I would try it. I truly enjoy reading updates on your blog, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see you posting! I miss it when you are busy. :D Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you've looked into Tattler reusable canning lids. They have a lifetime guarantee to boot. I'm wanting to invest in a bunch of these, and they really aren't expensive.

    ReplyDelete