I don't often rant or strongly encourage people to be more prepared for emergencies, but I will today. Since last year at this time food prices have increased 35%. You might not have noticed. It is kind of like the story about the frog being boiled, done so slowly, everyone accepts it. Get busy! Hard times are coming.
Five years ago we purchased our first goats. We paid $45 each. Today those same goats go for $250 each and up. Chickens, especially hens, are at a premium. More and more people in our area are getting into raising their own food animals, gardening, doubling and even quadrupling up. This last one is where one or more families share the same piece of land to cut down on expenses.
I have several people interested in learning how to can their own food. I even had a friend come over yesterday and I showed her how to can chicken stock. While making the stock, it reminded me of the saying from the t.v. show "Jericho" where one of the characters says "In this house we use all parts of the buffalo."
The chicken I cooked for stock was raised here, butchered here, and packaged here. I made fried chicken by piecing out the breasts, thighs, legs, and wings. The back, which still contains a lot of meat on it was saved until I had time to make the stock. I have several in the freezer, and I had originally planned to make a huge roaster full of stock, but opted for just the one, since my friend was coming over to learn. As it, the process took three hours, and I already had the stock made. Walking through the steps, sterilizing the jars, ladling the stock into the jars, and then processing them in the pressure canner actually took more time than I expected, plus it was HOT in the container, even with the AC going. I almost opted for opening the door, but the flies are really bad this year.
After straining the broth, I was left with a small portion of chicken meat. I sorted through the meat and removed the bones. We then had chicken tacos for lunch, while the stock was processing.
Today laundry is the list, as I've been gone most of the week for a variety of reasons. The wind is blowing strong and thankfully the clothes are drying ast. With all the windows and doors open in the house, it is pretty nice in the house..
Many may not consider me a hard core "prepper", but that is okay. I don't spend 15 hours a day "prepping", because my lifestyle is one of being self reliant. I believe by being self reliant on a regular day-to-day basis I won't have to worry "much" if (when) something more severe takes place.
I can't afford all the bells and whistles, but you know, they aren't necessary. My ancestors survived without them and I can to. It is made easier by a spouse that can do things I can't, and that I can learn from. I may never have the physical strength, but I have the intellect and determination to get things done in a workable fashion, thought it may not be pretty.
We concentrate on food, water, shelter and defense. Everything else is extra and a nice to have, and once the core areas are under control, we can re-direct focus to a new area.
Amen, sister...I am totally with you! I have been trying to expand my homestead, but can't afford the price of hens these days, nor the cost of a male goat to breed with my females so we can have milk! I am praying though. Fortunately we ARE expanding our garden, I bought a pressure canner, and my pantry is getting more and more stocked all the time.
ReplyDeleteAmy, thanks for all your updates. Nice to see what others are doing.
ReplyDeleteHard core? You're the most hard core one I know "personally" LOL You inspire me woman! Keep up the good work!! We too feel that if we can be more self reliant that we can rely on our skills rather than someone else's produced goods that we stock up on. It just seems to make much more sense to us :-)
ReplyDelete