Learned a lesson with the pigs yesterday. They can't stand heat. They had tore up their pen, and it needed to be fixed, so I put them in the dog kennel. They had shade and water, but they knocked both over and when I checked on them they looked bad. All three were lying down, and panting HARD. I couldn't get them to budge and to go out of the pen into the barn for shade.
I spent an hour pouring buckets of water on them, until they recovered enough to move on their own. I will still lock them up at night to keep the coyotes at bay, but they will be out "free ranging" during the day. They spent today in the pond, tearing up trash I left out (bad mama), and knocking over a full bucket of laundry soap I had just made. I "almost" regretted reviving them yesterday.
The cute stage has passed.
OMG, I would say so. I would be strangling them by now, lol. Take a deep breath and remember this too shall pass!
ReplyDeleteI am totally sympathetic! We currently have a rather large, 1 1/2 year old sow on the loose. She was supposed to be butchered this winter but we didn't have the right weather when we had the time! She keeps breaking the electric wire on the bottom of her fence. She doesn't get into much currently as we are only now getting potatoes in. We REALLY need to fix that fence so she can't break that electric wire. And the cute stage has definitely passed. By the way, here in WV we're digging ramps. Bet you remember that!
ReplyDeleteI love pigs. Used to raise them. Their bodys are just like humans. What we can't tolerate, neither can they. Our days are filled with all kinds of jobs we are working on, theirs are filled with plotting their next adventure. Usually a tour of the garden!! Buttt, they taste good! Jan
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter to You and Yours, God Bless!
ReplyDeleteYour pigs must not be Texas pigs they cant take the heat ;p oh wait I have the same pigs hahaha
ReplyDelete