 |
| A pretty yellow flower |
 |
| Daisy |
The weather is beautiful lately. It doesn't really make me want to do much around the farm, but sit and enjoy it, but there is work always to do to make sure we are ready for whatever emergency befalls us.
With the tornado a couple of weeks ago, it made me realize how woefully unprepared I was for even a tornado. Because we were in the process of moving the pantry from one "house" to another stuff was everywhere. I couldn't find flashlights, we didn't have any more kerosene on hand, and the generator had to be hauled from the barn to the house. Thankfully, we had gasoline on hand, but only 10 gallons.
There are so many things to do, and not enough time or money it seems. I am sure that is the way for most people.
It can be hard to focus and decide where to work first, but I try and concentrate on one area at a time:
1) Food - pantry move and organization, inventory and shopping list
2) Water - We have the 1100 gallon water tank full, primarily for use if the pump goes out, but I have purchasing the Berkey filter on the list, plus additional filters for my Brita pitcher
3) Clothing/Shoes -
4) Medical Supplies -
5) Safety Supplies
These are just a couple of categories you could use.
This week we are concentrating on our personal living space. Making sure it is organized and set up in a useable, workable manner. We are also working in the garden, weeding, mulching and planting potatoes.
This morning I did take time out to clean out the chicken coop. The chickens are infested with fleas, as are the dogs. I've been sprinkling the DE around the coop area, and dusting the dogs, but this morning we cleaned out all the manure, and I will be using it to make compost tea for the garden. I then sprinkled DE all over the inside. Placed new hay in the nesting boxes, and sprinkled more DE on top of that. We also dusted each chicken. I left them cooped up this a.m., removed one at a time, dusted it, and let it go. They were unhappy chickens let me tell you.
 |
| Green Beans |
 |
| Corn |
 |
Cucumbers
|
 |
| Tomatoes |
 |
| More Roma Tomatoes |
 |
| A Texas Sunset |
 |
| The siding going on the South side |
 |
New Pantry
|
 |
A work in progress
|
 |
| PS#2 picking flowers for Mama |
Amy,
ReplyDeleteYour green beans, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes all look amazing. Very healthy and vibrant!
The yellow siding on the your new house is beautiful.This color is so relaxing.
I can't get over the size of your pantry. Is it a complete room? I've been using one of my kitchen walls lined with shelving as my pantry, it works for now.
Are your kids looking forward to summer? Will they be out of school during the summer? Dakota can't wait to graduate and get out of high school May 27th. He's counting down days.
LOL, I like the color of the siding but it isn't the actual color it is just what the siding is made of...we do plan to paint it a similar shade, because we liked the color so much. We have white and green trim. PH plans to make workable shutters for the house.
DeleteYes, the pantry is a complete room. It was supposed to be 11 X 16, but with adding the stairs, it has ended up being 8 X 12. When you come in the back door it opens into the pantry, so when I bring groceries in, it will go directly in the correct room. It's kind of a combination pantry/mud room.
No, we are not looking forward to summer. It's so hot now, we are actually scared for summer to come. We school throughout the year, taking breaks as we need them.
Congratulations on your son's graduation. A very big mile stone...
Amy,
Delete8X12 is still a great room, and I love the idea of coming directly in with groceries. I'm afraid of what summer will bring too. The temperature reached almost 90 the other day. We don't need the extreme heat we had last year. It pretty much killed off most of my garden. I can only imagine how difficult it is on the farm animals. Prices on everything is going up and it's nerve racking. Especially when there are things we still need to get like food, additional water filters, and gas. I've even been walking and parking my truck at times to save on gas (and certain things are a distance from where we live). Something has to give and I'm worried about that too. Thank you, it is a very big mile stone for him to graduate. Give the kids a hug and have a nice day.
Hi Amy, I love your deep boxes!! With the wind we have here, they would really help out the tomatoes. Looks like you are making great progress on the house and pantry. Lookin good. Keep up the good work. Jan (from Kris' blog)
ReplyDeleteHi Jan, thanks for stopping by. I need to contact Kris, she has been on my mind. I read her blog all the time, but feel compelled to keep in touch with her. I wish she'd move here with me. LOL
DeleteAmy, check out Fred Meyer/Kroger they had Brita filters 5 for $19.99 and my box came with a $5.00 off coupon for use at checkout. I know I've gotten a little obsessive about water since my test so I picked up another Brita pitcher and a Stanley steel thermos at the Thrift Store for $4.00.
ReplyDeleteThey have plans on the internet that shows you how to make a water filter using Sand, Activated charcoal and a couple of buckets. It might give you a quick and chep filter till you can get your Berkeys.
The home and Pantry look darn good to me as well as the plants. I got to wait a couple more weeks before I'm sure we will be safe from frost.
I'll check the grocery store here. I don't have the ones you mentioned here. I was thinking of getting another pitcher as well. I've seen the plans online, and really need to get them printed and the materials on hand. I am starting to stress. Money is not readily available like it once was, what with building the house, the increased food and fuel prices. Very scary feeling.
ReplyDeleteYour garden looks great. We finally have the ground dry enough that we put in two rows of potatoes today. I love the pic of PS2 picking flowers. My two year old son brings me flowers several times a day since he discovered it makes Mama smile.
ReplyDeleteIt can be so difficult when the money just isn't there. Just gotta set those priorities! It ALL seems so necessary NOW!
We have had a lice problem with our chickens and have been using DE. It has helped a lot. I usually end up using it on most of the stock at least once a year.