http://www.krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-will-we-know-when-tshtf.html
I really love Kris' blog. She is very real, and I she has greatly inspired me to can more food, she cans everything! This is a wonderful article today, really reminded me of why I try to raise my own food. It is hard to provide for a large family, money is in short supply, and prices are rising.
I went to the grocery store today and this is what I purchased:
34 lbs of Dog chow
25 lbs of Cat food
1 bottle of bleach (96 oz)
1/2 lb of butter
1 container of yogurt
2 loaves of bread
1 bag of tortilla chips
1 bag of kettle chips
1 bag of lunch size chips (for PH lunch)
1 bottle of peroxide
1 bottle of rubbing alcohol
1 bag (90 count) of flossers
1 package of dental floss
1 package of dentek teeth cleaneres
2 packages of oral cleaning tools (mirror with light, tooth pick, tartar scraper)
TOTAL: $73.99 ($33.99 more than I had budgeted) - but on the plus side I had budgeted $40.00 for animal feed, but only spent $29.00, so that "extra" $11.00 I used towards the dental cleaning products.
I also stopped at a local liquor store to purchase a small bottle of Seagram 7 whiskey for my first aid kit. It was $5.08. Since I don't drink, not sure if that was a good price or not ;-)
I am very thankful I was given a box of produce as my garden is not yet producing. I received romaine lettuce, potatoes, green peppers (which I am dehydrating at the moment), oranges, tomatoes, carrots and zucchini. I am so blessed to be part of such a large, homeschooling community, and that we all share with each other when we have something.
We have had an offer for our four young bucklings. It is Easter time, and in TEXAS that means cabrito (bbqing a young goat). We set the price for $50 each, and while it means we won't be putting them in our freezer, it would give us money towards the house fund.
We have 42 eggs in the incubator, so we have a couple of weeks to go to see if any hatch. I hope so, these will be additional layers, and more chickens to butcher (possibly).
Aw, shucks...thanky ma'am.
ReplyDelete