Monday, February 27, 2012

Farm Happenings

I thought I'd update what is going on around here, not that anyone is really interested but primarily because I have a bad memory, and someone will ask me in a year, "when was Curly sick?" etc., etc.,

Curly is our goat.  One of our mature male bucks.  He came here with his two brothers (Larry and Mo).  Mo died young from ingesting  (unsupervised) an entire bag of feed corn.  Corn and goats don't mix, especially that much.  Praise God we now have a door on the barn, and the goats can be kept out.  Before that, our feed was stored in the back of the car.

Curly hasn't been acting right for awhile now.  He, more often than not, lays down to eat.  He gets tired easily.  Not sure what his problem really is, but he started having respiratory issues on Saturday.  I gave him an injection of penicillin, and another on Sunday.  Today, he was back out with the herd eating.  He had been occupying a spot next to the water trough, we were resolved he wasn't going to make it.  So far so good.  Next step in treatment will be to worm him.  I don't normally worm my animals with a commercial wormer, so I will up his dose of DE (diatomaceous earth) to help treat any parasites he may have.

It's been raining all day here today.  We had a small rain episode on Saturday afternoon, right as we were finishing up the chicken butchering.  I feel a little better now that the house is all dried in, but we still need to add the tar paper.  (I said "we" didn't I? LOL, I meant the PH "we".  ;-)

PH also purchased four windows to put in downstairs (he forgot we have five windows).  There are not any windows at all on the North Side, as that side faces the container.  I'd like a door from the kitchen into the container, but that will be a future project.  Poor PH ;-)

So, I think the house project looks like this:

1) add tar paper
2) add windows and door(s)
3) add Tyvek wrap
4) add Hardi Plank
5) add metal roofing

Then Wa La! the outside is complete.

At that time, I am hoping to be able to move into the house, and start working on the inside little by little.  I should be able to do the insulation on my own.  I've done insulation before with my dad, lots of times.  I believe I can handle that much.  I'd like to finish the pantry first, then the Master Bedroom, followed by the bath, the kid's rooms,   and the kitchen.

Bo and Duke attacked our calf tonight.  If it happens again, they might be moving on to the Happy Hunting Ground.  Molly was very traumatized by the unprovoked attack.  Duke was the instigator.  He is a herding dog, and he constantly tries to herd her.   This then riles up Bo.  Duke isn't even a year old, and he is forgetting his place in the order of things.  He even growled at Beta the other day.  I was hoping she would eat his lunch, but she basically ignored him.  I don't know if this means he won that encounter, or she didn't consider him important enough to bother with??  Anyone, speak dog?

Tomorrow we will be picking up pecans (again) at a friend's house, in the rain.  i am not looking forward to being wet and cold, but I do want the pecans.  I plan to shell them all, and vacuum seal them.

5 comments:

  1. Amy, The house is looking good Girl!!!! So sorry to hear Curly is not doing well. Sounds like Duke is a young teenager. Full of to much energy (piss and vinegar), lol. Yum, pecans......great for so many things! Pie, cookies, breads, cakes oh my....(yep, I have a sweets cravings). Try to stay dry and warm, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work on a goat ranch and occasionally we had urinary track problems with the bucks.
    adding vinegar to their water can help with this if it becomes a problem. This usually happened with the mature 5 to 6 year olds. Hope he keeps doing better. I'm enjoying reading about our homesteading endeavors. We have a farm in WV and I enjoy seeing what others are doing to prepare. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Missy! Hope you get this reply ;-) What causes the urinary problem? I've been researching this, and everything I see points to too much grain/corn, but we don't feet our goats, they "free range". LOL

      He did park himself next to the water, so I am thinking he had a urinary type problem, or a fever. After two penicillin injections he seems to be better. Back out with the herd, and eating. I'll add vinegar to their water, just in case. Any ideas on how much per gallon of water?

      Delete
  3. Missy, please leave your email address in a comment. I won't publish the comment. We have land in WV too! About 30 minutes south of Huntington in Wayne. We might be related! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I can find I would add 1/2 cup for 5 gallons. I found a lot of conflicting info and it's been a few years, ok about 15, since I worked at the goat ranch! Grain isn't always the problem. Sometimes it can be hard water. I read a good article in Dairy Goat Journal by a DR. Waltz about natural worming of goats and she talked about using acv for your animals. The article is called Natural Goat Medicine. Might be worth your time to look up. E-mail in a separate post.

    ReplyDelete