After three days of rain and chilly temps in the 40s, it has been a blessing to have such warm, wonderful weather the past few days. Today is partly cloudy, with only a 10% chance of rain. The sun just broke through the clouds. I've been working in the garden each day, doing a little bit more each time.
PH did get the containers in the garden, now I just need more dirt. Today I planted 4 rows of an heirloom bantam sweet corn from Baker Creek Seeds. I also planted:
marigolds
sunflowers
lavendar
mint
echinacea
lemon balm
Previously I have planted cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, mescullin, green beans, cilantro and one other item that I CANNOT remember. It is so frustrating. I wrote it down, but can't find it. I had hope I had posted it here, but didn't see any references to it lately. I'll have to wait until it sprouts.
I plan to plant even more green beans, and once the corn sprouts, I'll plant watermelons between the stalks. Once the watermelons are done (about July). I'll plant pumpkins for the Fall. I will also be planting Amish Pie Pumpkins, Pennsylvania Crook Neck Squash, Hubbard Squash and LOTS of other items, just as soon as I get those containers full of dirt.
I will also be picking up tires this week to make a potato tower, and planting Virginia peanuts.
Busy, busy, busy.
We haven't been able to do more than plow. It's staying too wet to get the tiller in the garden yet. I had hopes of getting potatoes in this week. I may mud a row in anyway! Would love to see when it starts growing!
ReplyDeleteAmy, It's been nice having the warmer weather and no rain. Wow, I say you have been busy planting. Great idea, planting watermelon around your corn stalks. I may have to borrow this suggestion when planting my corn. I've started an experiment with my potatoes, bamboo and straw. The tire tower also peaked my interest, please let me know how your taters come out.
ReplyDeleteI like the watermelon idea too. I'm planning on doing this with squash this year. I've heard the Native Americans did something similar. They called Corn, Beans, and Squash the "Three Sisters" and they grew them together. The squash provided ground cover to keep weeds down and the Corn provided a trellis for the beans to climb.My green beans are't climbers...but I wonder if it could do this with sugar snap peas. Last year I attempted to grow Incan Rainbow Sweet Corn from Baker Creek but it must have crossed with the Monsanto stuff all around us, because not all of the little kernels looked the same. Some were plump and full when dry and others translucent and shriveled...all on the same ear.
ReplyDelete