We've been busy the last few days. PH made a new swing arm grill/stove type "thingee". We will use it to cook over the fire pit. This gives yet another way to cook our meals, heat water, and more. Here's a picture...
Today, I was up early to meet a friend at a local farmer's market/flea market. I purchased veggies, raw peanuts to plant, 18 roma plant starts to add to my starts, four herb starts (rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, sweet basil), a combat trauma medic bag with supplies, an Army Duffel, and a volleyball net for the kids.
Coming home I helped PH with the house. He wanted to get the wrap on the house, plus install the front windows.
I worked in the garden and planted all my plant starts, in addition to a bed of cucumbers, mescullin, romaine, and green beans. PH brought home several large boxes that were being thrown away. These are boxes that drive shafts, motors and such come in, but will be handy to grow in for a couple of seasons. We could just use the ground, but the gophers are getting pretty bad.
PD#1 had two friends spend the night, and they all (PD#2 also) slept in their unfinished bedroom. I tried to talk them out of it, because it can get pretty cold at night still, but they were intent on sleeping in there last night. Well, it was about 48 and WINDY! This morning I asked if they were cold, and they all yelled YES! LOL The stuff of memories ;-)
All in all, it was a productive weekend.
We received something I've been waiting a while for and that's our Berky water filter! I feel much better about our water needs being met now. We have a shallow well but are connected to town water. We can use the shallow well but have to use a bucket to draw water out and we haven't had it tested. I hate the chlorine in the town water and our homeschool group took a tour of the plant. Yuck!!! One of the next little things we're getting is a couple yards of wick for our oil lamps and more canning jars and lids. I'd like to try the Tattler lids but they're expensive. Have you used them? I haven't had time to read your back posts yet to see if you've posted about it. The house is looking GREAT! You must be so excited about getting the outside so far along. We can't plant here yet but I'm hoping to get an early row of potatoes in in a couple of weeks if the ground dries out enough. Hubby plowed part of it but it was too wet to till. Have a blessed Sunday. I'm off to get ready for church.
ReplyDeleteYeah! I want a Berkey. I've ordered one, but it is on back order.
DeleteNo, I haven't used the Tattlers, they are on the list to order too.
Congrats that is starting to look like house! Pretty soon I bet she'll look like a home.
ReplyDeleteGood week prepping here and a beautiful day, filling the last water barrel, testing the solar oven, going to buy a walk-in green house $40.00 today at Big Lots
Amy, Hey There Girl, PH did a great job on the swing arm grill. The grill is great for cooking over firepit/campfire and there is nothing better than having several sources to use for cooking/heating. It sure sounds like your prepping is going extremely well. Did you pickup your combat medic bag by chance through Midway USA? We just picked ours up last week from Midway and to our surprise we were satisfield. Your house is looking really good. Are you getting antsy to move into it soon? The kids PD 1, 2 and friends even though they froze their hineys off had a blast sleeping and playing in the house.
ReplyDelete