I am sitting here by candle light tonight. Oh, I remembered to pay the bill, but I wanted to see how much light candles provided in the new house. It is REALLY dark in here. I have two large jar candles (think Yankee Candle style) and one square citronella candle. All three here on the table where I am typing. I definitely need to remember to get mirrored scones to help reflect the light, because there isn't enough light to not trip by, much less read or anything.
Why am I doing this you ask? Well, I have been watching the new t.v. series "Revolution", and really wonder if I am prepared to live without power for a short time or even longer term? I do not think so..I need more candles, kerosene, lamps, wicks, candle making supplies, more canning jars/lids and rings to can the contents of my freezer, and most of I need more basic food supplies and seeds. In addition, we desperately need a way to get the water out of the well. That is the major thorn in my side at this point.
I made beef ribs tonight for dinner. The ribs are from our side of beef purchase earlier in the summer. I rubbed a meat seasoning into them, and cooked in olive oil in a cast iron skillet. I also made corn on the cob (from our garden earlier in the summer), and PH asked for a dessert. I tried to steer him towards a pear pie. I had made pear pie filling (like apple pie) and would have preferred that instead, BUT he wanted peach pie (yuck). So, I made a peach pie in a small, round, cast iron skillet I had on hand. It is a little bigger than a Personal Pan Pizza at Pizza Hut. It took four, large peaches to fill up the skillet. The sauce to the pie was really good, though I do not like cooked (or raw) peaches. So Happy Anniversary to PH! We will be going out to dinner to Olive Garden this weekend. It was supposed to be tonight, but I had some other things planned that I wanted to do, and I need additional funds, so I am waiting until pay day.
We heard on the news tonight that there is a Global Bacon Shortage. We laughed and laughed. It sounds funny. Haven't researched it any more, but we have two HUGE slabs of bacon walking around in our yard. Really wish that Fern would have some babies, so we can raise those to butcher. It sure is taking them a long time to "do their thing".
Lest, anyone think that I do not have my finger on the pulse of "world happenings", believe me, I do. I just prefer to keep to the light side of things (mostly) here, in order to keep from sliding even more into a depression.
Focus on the positive, and chip away at the negative.
Amy,
ReplyDeleteI tired to keep things light on my blog, but last night I truly got ticked off and voiced my opinion. Especially since one of the men killed in Libya was a friend of ours.
Anyway, I know what you mean about looking around and finding more things you need to have in order to be more self reliant. I continue to make a list and gradual attempt to find items on this list.
This morning I heard about the bacon shortage. We don't eat bacon that often, but I thinking, I should maybe look for a good deal on bacon and cook/can the bacon.
You don't have to worry about your bacon, you have it running around getting bigger as days go by, lol.....
Have a wonderful Anniversary dinner this weekend. Congrats!!!
Sandy
I see on your sidebar that you marked purchase wood cook stove as "done". Did I miss a post? I must have!
ReplyDeleteNope, checked it done BEFORE it was really done. My great-aunt has a cook stove in her barn in VA. My sister was going up there to get it, she wanted to display it in her house, not use it. She saw it was bad shape, and offered it to us to restore. So we were going to get it, but after the ranch hand saw pictures of it, he passed. So sad! So, I'll be using my box stove with the two eye burners to cook on, if necessary. Plus, I have my swing arm grate to go over the fire pit.
DeleteThanks for letting me know, I'll correct my notation in the sidebar. BTW - I sent you an email.
That stove was literally falling apart and rusted out so "ranch hand" made a good call. Not safe for a fire in the house for sure.
ReplyDeleteYes, no floor to the fire box is a definite drawback! LOL
ReplyDelete