Last Christmas time, PH bought a meat grinder. The plan was to use it to grind our own meat. With one of our pigs being killed earlier this year (the one we were planning to butcher), we weren't able to put it to the test. We really want to get into the habit of providing our own meat, and the meat grinder will allow us to make our own hamburger, other ground meats, and sausage. So excited! Well, tonight I decided to grind up the steaks I had thawed (from the side of beef we purchased earlier this year) into hamburger. It was so cool! It was so fast! The longest part was cleaning it afterwards.
I made spaghetti for dinner, and even have enough left over to can in pint jars. I used my home canned sauce, and it was different, but good. I also made garlic/basil bread, and a loaf of regular bread.
PD#1 turned 15 on Saturday. I cannot believe she is 15. I still remember the sassy four year old little girl, with the tiny ponytail. She didn't have much hair, and I had scrape it, and hairspray it in place to get enough hair for a ponytail. She was so excited! Now, I look at this little girl, who is taller than I am, but still is so young. Wanting to be independent, but coming to give me a kiss every night on her way to bed. I feel old.
Ps#2 is acting like a toot. He is constantly being corrected, and is not a happy camper. I sure hope he gets out of this phase he is in..he was such a sweet little guy, and now he is grumpy, and always saying "no" and is SO aggressive. He loves to jump on his sisters and growl at us.
PD#2 helped me to peel 10 lbs of apples tonight. Boy! Is my hand tired! I am teaching canning to a small group of girls at our home school co-op, and tomorrow we are making applesauce. Really simple and easy.
I planted lettuce in the garden last week, and it has already sprouted. I really need to get in the garden to get the rest of it planted, hope to get to that tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, it is mine and PH's 24th wedding anniversary. Amazing! Sure went by fast.
Dove season is in full swing, and PH has been able to shoot 12 dove. I cooked 8 of the breast pieces, which still leaves enough for another meal, since each dove has two breast pieces. First I dipped the breast in egg, then in flour, then egg again, followed by flour again. Cooked in a cast iron pan in hot oil, and served with homemade potato chips. Very yummy!
I woke to the sounds of war on Saturday a.m., guns going off everywhere! PH jumped up, got dressed and went out to start looking for dove around 7 a.m.
The girls also went to our community's annual fund-raising event. They had a table to sell their wares. PD#1 had her crocheted items, and PD#2 had a stack of pot holders she had made. I did take a selection of my canned goods to sell, as well as, a few books. We bought BBQ plates from the VFD, and had a good time meeting new people and making a little money. PD#2 was so excited! She promptly spent her windfall at the booth across from us. She bought a pair of pink, heart, dangly earrings. Easy come, easy go.
The weather here has been cooler than normal, primarily in the evening and early morning hours. We have been making preparations for Winter, by working on the insulation, and making sure all the blankets are cleaned and aired out.
I was able to work on several lists: Things To Learn, Things To Do, and Things To Buy. My pantry is severely low, and I seriously need to continue adding items. I keep plugging away, but each step forward, can mean two steps back as well. Very daunting trying to keep a full pantry for the future, when you need to eat today as well. I only do what I can do.
Happy Autumn!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteHappy 24th Anniversary to you and your hubby!!!
When we look at time, it's so hard to believe that time flies so fast.
I'm pleased to hear you we're able to use your meat grinder to make ground beef. We've been looking everytime we go out to an estate sale for one.
Happy Birthday to PD#1, the kids just grow up so fast. PS#2 sounds like he's just going through a phase. That phase to see how far he can push. Dakota went through that phase, it took a while eventually it will break.
Congrats on getting your fall garden going. Lettuce is such a fast grower and makes for a great harvest. We're done with planting until spring, I'm disappointed but thats okay.
I'm going to pickup a box or two of apples to can in the next several days. I'm just trying to get movitivated. What are your plans for the apples your peeled?
Hunting dove, you must have plenty of them there. I've never had dove, does it taste like chicken? The way you described cooking the dove breast sound delicious.
I was excited to see your post and read how things were going.
Give hugs to the family and take care, until next time.
Your friend,
Sandy
Hi Sandy! Thanks for the well wishes on our anniversary. Yep, I agree that the little guy is pushing to see what he can get away with, but I sure do get tired of talking so sternly to him, putting him in time-out, or swatting his backside. He rarely gets sorry, only angrier. He hates that I am more stubborn than he is :)
DeleteI am teaching a canning class at our home-school co op, and we made apple sauce today. Next week is Basil/Garlic tomato sauce, so I am off to buy 40 lbs of tomatoes (20 lbs for me, 20 lbs for the class) this week.
Regarding the dove..I think it tastes like chicken livers, kind of dry. I can only eat it battered and fried. You can't fry them too long or they get really dry and tough.