Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Harvest

I am just all about Autumn this weekend!  We have had several days of rain and cooler weather (60s and 70s).  Not just a drizzle, but the kind where it rains for a solid 10 hours.  We have received 6 inches of rain in the past three days!  I am so excited!  The pond is overflowing.  Praise God for this Blessing!  After so many years of drought, and having to keep the pond with water (just barely) to keep all these animals watered, to have the pond, plus side overflow FULL is mind blowing.  Here's a picture! 


Red Rock Pond is Full!

The county fair was also this weekend.  The PD#1 entered photography, art work, and her three crochet hats.  The pink ribbon below is for her crochet work.  She was very excited to received the large pink rosette in the home arts :) I am very proud of her.  PD#2 entered photography, art work and two loomed, pot holders.  She received a blue ribbon in her photography and art work and a red ribbon on her pot holders.  She did not take a picture of her awards yet, but I will post them once she is done.

I entered photography and received a blue ribbon for my one snap shot.  I also entered the Home Arts in canning, and received 3  blue ribbons, 2 red and 2 white.  Yeah for Mama!
PD#1's fair entries and ribbons
Due to the rain we didn't actually attend the fair, other than to drop off our entries.  We stayed home most of the weekend.  Today I worked on canning apple jelly, and baking.  I made cupcakes and gingerbread for tomorrow's co-op.
I actually lit a fire in the wood stove this morning.  The rain left a decided chill in the air, and the inside of the container was damp and cold.  We put the kerosene heater here in the house and it warmed it up nicely, and kept it warm.  Much better in the house, even without insulation!

We are very worried about the safety of our country and fellow Americans around the world.  Due to the increased threat PH and I worked on cleaning up the interior of the house, burning construction debris, taking an inventory of what we have and what we need.  PH is collecting the various pieces needed to install the larger wood stove in the house.  All the pieces are in the barn.  He wasn't able to reach the main piece, but did find a shop vac.  Our main one died, and I've been unable to vacuum, only sweep.  This one was my dad's, and it was in the barn since we moved out here four years ago.  So, we were able to vacuum the entire house, and it is now saw dust free!  PH will be bringing home another fuel tank which we will fill with kerosene.  We have another for gasoline. 

On the list this week is to:

clean up fallen trees and cut in manageable lengths to add to wood pile
place LDS cannery order for next month's pickup
purchase more matches
contact local man to purchase additional honey
wash all blankets
can beef stock
can honey/lemon cough syrup
work on installing insulation in roof
start fall cleaning of container
clean out wood stove
purchase hunting licenses

We really want to be ready for the Winter and the results of the upcoming "election", so we are increasing our workload in the needed areas.

Well, time for bed.  I have a canning class to teach in the morning, as well as, a hand sewing class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment