Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Dog Days of Summer

I never really understood what that means.  What are the dog days of summer?  The days when it is so hot, you just want to lay under the house in the shade, hoping to catch a breeze?  No idea.

We have been really busy, as evidenced by the length of time between posts.  Plus, with spotty computer service, it has been hard to get online.

My garden did squat.  54 tomato plants and I received a hand full.  Ended up purchasing 25 lbs of organic Roma tomatoes and will be making sauce this weekend.  I need an additional 25 lbs, plus I'll be making pear sauce, pear butter and additional pear products.

Let me see if I can catch everyone up :) If I repeat anything, please excuse me.  In May, I attended a Wild Edibles class.  My friend (Lady Tutor) and I drove into the big city for this class.  Learned how to spot a few wild plants (some good to eat, some a big "no-no".)  We also had snacks made from wild edibles.  One was a lasagna type dish using nopalitos (cactus pads) as the noodle.  Also, had a great tea drink made from a plant the Indians used for Tea.  (I'd have to check my notes to remember the name of it, though I would recognize it again.)  I'd really like a more in-depth class session revolving around what is on my land and around me.

We also attended the home school convention which was a lot of fun. We look forward to this every year.  I was able to get the majority of the curriculum for the kids for the Fall.

We attended a local flag day ceremony, and my daughter was able to represent her Civil Air Patrol Group.  It was a really wonderful ceremony.  It was in commemoration of the TET offensive, and there was a large contingent of Vietnamese that participated.  The group was from Austin, and presented the families of those in our county that lost loved ones during the Vietnam War.  Very moving.  The little Vietnamese men were so captivated by my daughter in her uniform and snapped pictures of her.  No idea what they were saying, but it was funny.

We've been cleaning up the land (always).  Removing trash, organizing, assessing the wood for the Winter (I know it's 105 today and I am talking about stove wood), cleaning the barn, pens and stacking our Winter Hay.

We had time to take a mini vacation to the Frio River.  It was a great break, and a wonderful time spent with one of my sisters and her husband.  We stayed in the cabin with them that they rented. Really nice.

We were able to sell 7 of the baby piglets, and still have two to raise and butcher.  They are so cute when they are little!  They love to run around, play in the pond, and scatter the ducks and chickens when I throw feed out for the birds.  They run the birds off to eat the corn.  They are true PIGS.

We have been having a great time at the monthly Barter Days.  Trading for wonderful things, and coming up with great ideas for items to trade.  PS#2 LOVES Barter Days and is in a flurry to paint rocks to trade with..he has managed to trade for a good water bottle, tea light candles (a box full), a dog leash, and some Rosemary.  He LOVES Rosemary, and came home and promptly had me show him how to make medicine with the Rosemary.  :)

In July, we went to the Coast for a quick trip (left one day, came back the next).  Originally, PD#1 and I were going down to attend a 4H Floating Classroom trip, but PH decided to go down a day early.  We stayed in a hotel, went to the Aquarium, ate at Joe's Crab Shack at the Marina, went out on the boat in the Bay, and then played on the beach before making the LONG drive back home.  It was a nice break for PH.  He rarely takes off of work.  The boat trip was AMAZING!  PD#1 and I were able to help catch marine specimens (plankton, sting ray, puffer fish, sea horses, flounder, shrimp and more!) and touch them.  There were even a few squid that were dead, and we were allowed to dissect them.  I was also able to view plankton, shrimp and crab larvae under the microscope.  Which was cool in itself!  The microscope was attached to a large monitor over head, so the pictures were really up close and detailed.  I really enjoyed that trip.


Shadow, Bottle Nose Dolphin
Texas Aquarium

Palm Tree at Corpus Christi Beach
(PS#2 is convinced it is a coconut tree, thanks Spongebob!)

PS#2 - first time on a beach
So excited!

A Ship in the Bay being pulled by tug boats
Called the Pennsylvania I believe.

A 1/8 replica of the Nina.  Built by Spain and
donated to the City of Corpus

Baby Stingrays!
We saw these BORN! So cool!

The touch tank on board the KARMA
My mom recently came down to visit (this past weekend).  We attended the baby shower up near Austin for my brother and his wife.  Their first child will be making an appearance in a couple of weeks.  Another granddaughter for the family!

I have also recently purchased a HAM radio, and am busy studying for the licensing test.  We have had numerous wild fires, tornadoes, train derailments, flooding and such the past few years, that having another way of communicating is turning into a "must have".

The kitchen in the house has been installed.  I will try to get pictures posted, now that I have FINALLY located my camera and charger.  It's been over a year!

We are in Stage IV water restrictions here, which doesn't really affect us too much in the way of ordinances.  We live in the county.  But we are still taking measures to conserve water, as much as, possible.  My rain barrel at the barn is empty, even though we did get significant rain a couple of weeks ago.  Since then it has been DRY, and the pond is decreasing.  I am really worried about the fish.  I believe we need to top it off with the well, but PH is not in agreement.  We will have to do something soon to prevent one of our food sources from dying off.  I may have to covertly turn the water on, if he doesn't respond to the urgency soon.

Other than days spent canning, making cheese, and caring for the livestock, we have been trying to keep our heads down, and keeping cool in this heat.  Looking forward to a little cooler Autumn weather :)

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    Nice to see you back! It looks like you've had a nice summer. I have the same problem with my garden, I'm wondering if the weather has a lot to do with very little fruit/vegetables for harvest.

    ReplyDelete