Friday, June 29, 2012

I hope everyone is having a good summer.  I've been out of touch for a while due to computer issues.  Both of our laptops have died, and I only have a Nook to get online.  It's great for reading info, but very difficult to use to type with, and I haven't been able to use it to post.  I don't think Blogger allows that type of function from the Nook.

Anyway, the outside of the house is done, and PH has started work on the front porch.  The deck and posts are done, and the roof is left to complete. 

I had purchased 10 turkey chicks, but one day nine went "poof".  No idea what happened to them, no evidence left behind.  I have one little one left, and he is getting big.  I keep him in a rubber maid tote in the living area of the container.  He isn't too happy about his confinement, but he is too small to be put out by himself. 

The heat lately has been in the triple digits, and combatting that heat has been difficult at best.  We normally retreat to the air conditioned bedroom of the container, and emerge in the early evening to complete outside activities (laundry and working on the house).  No rain to speak off, a few drizzles every now and then, only enough to make round, wet, spots in the dust.

I have recently found a part time job in a small town close to us.  It is a librarian position and I work 25 hours a week.  It is an ideal job for me.  I love books!  The position is a great resource to meet people of like mind.  I get to plan events, fundraisers, order books, movies and implement community programs like reading, ESL, GED, Home school support and more!  Plus, I get paid.  It isn't a lot of money but every bit helps to reach our goal of finishing the house and becoming more self sufficient.

The house is VERY hot during the day, but at night it is very peaceful, calm and COOL.  By early morning I am actually chilly and need a blanket and to turn off the fan. 

My garden has basically fizzled due to the heat.  No amount of water and fertilizer helped.  I was able to put up 8 quarts of corn, and my tomatoes, jalapenos, and onions, did not amount to much to be able to can.  I look forward to beginning my fall garden soon.  Even my watermelons and cantelopes, that did so well last year, did NADA!  So devastated.  I had high hopes and plans for this years garden.  How did people survive long ago, it just isn't possible to grow enough to support our family for the year.  It's very disheartening.  I'll keep plugging away and trying, but after six years of gardening, I feel like giving up.

Hope to be able to keep everyone updated from the library more frequently :)



Turkey poults in their turkey tractor
Cuties!

Loving the fresh air!

Due to the loss of these little ones, I plan to purchase more in a month.  Very heartbreaking to lose your "food" like we did, especially without a trace or idea of what happened.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry about losing those turkey chicks! A porch huh? Great progress since I was there! Keep hydrated and pray for rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Hi there! It's nice to hear updates on the house. I'm happy to hear the exterior is complete and now PH is working on the porch. Congratulations on your Librarian position. I'm sure this will help out toward becoming more self sufficient :-) Also since you love to read, what a great place to work!!!! After two more months of physical therapy, I need to find some work. We want to buy some property soon for our future. Having a job will help.
    I hope your kids are well? Try to stay cool with this heat, take care. I hope to catch another post soon.
    Your Friend Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can even do a homesteading program through the library. Our town library is a converted church it has a full kitchen in the basement. We have been talking about having a canning workshop there to teach food storage to the community.

    ReplyDelete