We had about 20 people Wednesday evening, for a great time of fellowship, food and watching fireworks. I had wanted to read the Declaration of Independence to everyone, but there were so many "littles" that attention was short, and I decided not to. I did read it myself. I had never read the entire declaration, only pieces of it. It is very moving, and in light of our current governmental issues, very applicable.
I managed to consolidate all my tomatoes, and made a small amount of tomato sauce to can. I have five pints. Not a lot, but every little bit added to the pantry staves off hunger. The rest of the garden is burning up. My tomato plants are struggling, as well as, my lone basil plant. The cantelope vines are still growing and producing flowers but not one fruit. I am unsure of what is going on....probably bees. Last year, there were swarms and swarms, this year, very few. This was the first year since we have lived here that I haven't seen a swarm in a tree, and I hoped to have a friend capture it for me this year. What a bummer!
I have moved on to the harvesting of wild edibles. The mustang grapes are about ready, as well as, the Prickly Pear fruits (tunas). In the Winter, I am hoping to harvest a truck load of the wild melons. Praying they will do well, as this is what we fed the pigs most of last winter. Pears should be ready soon, and I am keeping my eyes open for any neighbors not harvesting any. Ready to make some pear jam this year. I canned pears last year, but still have some in the pantry.
Our lone turkey chick, has unfortunately become a pet for PH. I came in last night from taking PD#1 to guitar lessons, and PH was watching t.v., with the little turkey standing on his chest. PH "said" the chick managed to escape from it's box, walked into the bedroom, jumped on the bed and settled down on his chest. It had been there for a while. I didn't know that PH was making "friends" with the chick daily by talking to it, feeding it bugs and petting it. I reminded him that the chick was our turkey dinner if it survived. I got the "look", so I guess we won't be having fresh turkey this year (sigh).
Continuing in our quest to self sufficient, and prepared for emergencies. I have committed this year to do something weekly, and so far so good. Whether it is organizing or canning, I get something done.
Here are a few random pictures:
| Boomer -a friend's donkey she entered in the local pet parade |
![]() |
| Pudding - Nigerian Dwarf |
| Side view of porch |
| Front view of porch/steps |
| PS#2 |
| Creek bed after the rain this week - received 1.5 inches |

Hey Amy,
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated Independence Day To You And Yours!
I so hear you when dealing with the heat and the garden. At least you did get some rain, that's a good thing. We haven't had rain in a while and we sure could use it. Every time we see clouds building they seem to head east, they don't stay long over the top of us. :-(
1 little turkey chick and PH wants to keep it for a pet, omg.....so much for the bird at Thanksgiving is right! Maybe ya'll can do some wild turkey hunting for the holiday meal. Once again, I must say the house looks amazing, have you moved somethings to it? I wish we had some of the wild fruits and veggies here. We have flowers that are wild but no signs of the other in the woods or surroundings. Try to keep cool, I'm going to go take a nap (the heat has kicked my butt today).
happy 4th to you too! i keep checking in, anxious to see your house!!
ReplyDelete