Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day!

Happy Thanksgiving!  I wanted to take this time to thank the Lord for His wonderful gift of family, His generous provision and granting me the motivation to learn new skills and to truly listen to His promptings.  Whenever I get discouraged I read Proverbs 31, and it reminds me that while others may think we are crazy for the way we live our life, there is a reason.  Whether it be economic collapse, social unrest, or the rise of the NWO prior to Christ's return, I am confident He is leading me towards a closer walk with Him, and preparing our family for safety and security in a troubled world.

PH and I have been busy (PKs too).  We built a pen to house our beloved Rottie.  She is such a good dog, but has unfortunately been led down than a less than righteous path  by one of our "pups".  Sassy was born to a stray that adopted us named Sophie.  Sassy is just like her name.  Full of sass, very lovable, BUT an instigator when it comes to the killing of chickens, kittens, chasing horses and attacking goats.  She gets Baeta (Rott) so worked up that Baeta, acting outside her character for the past six years, has changed from a trustworthy dog to a livestock killer.  We just cannot have her kill our food sources, so she has been relegated to a kennel, and Sassy has found a new home.   During the day while the livestock (horses, goats, chickens, pigs, calf) are roaming the pastures she is contained.  At night, when the livestock is penned up to keep them safe from coyotoes (and Baeta) we let her out to roam our homestead (along with our Pyr).  She is very much a guard dog, having been trained in security and we love Rottweilers.  The best dog breed we have ever owned.  We are hoping through patience and rehab (and Sassy's absence) that Baeta will once again return to her former trustworthy self.  If not, she'll spend her days in a kennel instead of roaming free to protect the homestead.

Today was a very relaxing day.  PH attached the brackets for the rafters on the upper roof today.  He is preparing to pick up a load of lumber tomorrow, in order to complete the rafters.  PD#2 was invited to a friend's for the Thanksgiving meal.  My meal was relatively simple to prepare, and I felt no rush or anxiety.  I am thankful for my new herbal medications and teas that are allowing me to get plenty of rest, and helps with my stress levels.  Last night I washed and set up the roaster, cleaned the kitchen and made a batch of cornbread to use in the cornbread dressing/stuffing.  (I grew up saying stuffing, PH's family says dressing).  So fancy like ;-)

I went shopping yesterday at Whole Foods to get ingredients for my pie (chocolate cream pie).  My mom always made this using Jello pudding and Cool Whip.  Because of my healthier eating practices I don't eat Jello but made chocolate pudding, and found an Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten Free (for PD#1) Cool Whip substitute called "Tru Whip".  I was skeptical about the taste, but no one could tell a difference!  I was very happy.  I had the rest of the ingredients for my meal as I had purchased a turkey after last Christmas and it was in the freezer.  I put it in the roaster, stuffed the cavity with onions and applies, basted the skin with olive oil and rubbed sage into it.  I cooked it on low for 4 hours and it was THE best turkey I've had in awhile.  Came out PERFECTO!  I also made mashed potatoes with gravy (for me), corn, rolls, sweet/dill pickles, olives, carrots and dressing.  Everything either organic or I canned it myself.  Even the stock I used in the dressing!  I was so proud of myself.  I have been preserving more and more food this year, and it has really helped.  Our food bill has been cut to pay for lumber, and recently our food animals.  It is a sacrifice, and has been very difficult to come up with delicious meals from my food storage.  I am really tired of wild meat and goat.  I'd love a good steak (sigh).  I opted for buying a calf and raising it myself instead of purchasing a small share of beef for the same amount.  So, unless PH approves more funds for a side of beef after Christmas, we will be beef-less until the calf is butchered.

My turkey stock is bubbling away.  I plan to let it simmer all night, and then will can it tomorrow, as well as, get laundry done.

PH and I are considering purchasing turkey poults after Christmas (in March) to raise to sell and to have for our freezer. 

PH is off until Monday, so once he is finished with the rafters, I am hoping we can secure the garden once again, because those darn goats have eaten it ALL.  I was able to glean 2 little radishes tonight.  PS#2 was tickled pink, as they came out of  "his" garden area.  I did notice that my leaf lettuce is struggling to come back, along with the pumpkins.  Barring a freeze, they should make it IF we get the goats under control.

Happy Thanksgiving all!


Psalm 95:1-6
"O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker." (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment