Sitting here by the wood stove. A cold front literally blew in around 6 pm tonight. I was at the barn putting up the baby chickens (about 2 months old). It was pretty warm, about 83. The wind started blowing and I felt cold air. It was amazing how the weather could change so fast! It is supposed to get down to 49 tonight. Not too cold, but cold is magnified in a metal storage container.
The wood stove is banked for the night, and putting out a good steady heat with the oak we are using. Good wood, I won't be up all night trying to keep the place warm, I hope.
Our banty rooster, Napoleon noticed the baby chicks for the first time today. I've been letting them out of the chicken tractor to free range for a bit in the afternoon. They don't "range" far. They primarily stay in the barn, or right outside the door where they can rush back in...Napoleon started preening and dancing in circles around them. This so startled my innocent little ladies, that they ran flustered back into the chicken tractor. Napoleon seemed so happy to have ladies his size, though they are way too young for his attentions.
Our Americauna rooster was interested in the ladies, but immediately tried to get down to business, jumped on one of them, and was squashing her. He is huge, and she's kind of small (banty size still). I want to separate them, the Buffs with one rooster, and the Americauna hens with the Americauna rooster. But we'll see..
time for bed, I'll add more later, it's getting late and my eyes are crossing. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment