Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cooler Weather and LOTS of rain!

We had a MASSIVE storm center that came through last night/early a.m.  It began raining about midnight and didn't stop until 10 a.m.  The thunder and lightening were horrific, and the NOISE!  You haven't lived through a storm like this until you've lived in a metal storage container.  It was impossible to sleep, so we were all dragging this morning.  It was so dark and dreary in here, I neglected to get up, thinking it was early still, and was late for church.  The creekbed was flooded anyway, and even going over the bridge to avoid it wouldn't have done any good.  The upper part of the driveway was flooded too, no way around.  We received AT LEAST 7 inches.  The rain gauge was full, and it was still raining.  PD#1 dumped it out, but it stopped raining shortly thereafter.

I was worried about the baby chicks all night.  They were in their chicken tractor right outside the door, covered with two tarps.  I had no idea the storm was going to be that bad, but the ground was flooded.  They were soaking wet this morning, I felt so bad for them.  We put the chicken tractor in the barn, on a nice bed of warm hay.  They are nice and snug in the barn now, and should do fine. 

I made spaghetti last night using our wild hog sausage and the tomato sauce I canned.  It was pretty good. PH liked it, so it is "good to go" to make it again.  I also made a big batch of laundry soap.  It seems no matter how much I wash, I always have more.  I'd love to get rid of all these clothes, but it doesn't seem possible (sigh). 

Feeling sick with a sore throat and earache.  Drank some Echinacea Tea tonight, and if I don't feel better tomorrow, I'll take some more herbs.

It was pretty chilly inside tonight, so I lit a fire in the woodstove.  Unfortunately, it has died out and my feet are still cold. Finished watching my nightly episode of JERICHO, and so am off to bed.



PH sharpened his chainsaw.  He will be getting ready to go over to his parents to cut firewood.  We have plenty for this year, but his dad had several trees that were cut down.  They are live oak so will be great for our woodstove.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great! I know you beat yourself up a bit, but you are doing good. Remember the last perfect person was hung on a cross and you don't need that to deal with along with everything else.
    I always buy extra slippers when I can get them on sale. Make great gifts and I'm a warmblooded person but if my feet are cold I'm cold.
    My Mom used to make a "hot toddy" for when I got sick that 1 oz. of blended whiskey, 1 table spoon of lemon and honey fill with hot water in a coffee cup. It does work and makes being sick a lot more fun! Hot Tang is also a great drink.
    You might also steam some dried rosemary and lean over with a towel to breathe in the steam. It seems to work well for me and stops a hacking cough.
    Get better soon, there is work to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I saw your comment on Surviving the Suburbs--thank you for the coffee grinder idea; I've wondered if that would work for grinding grain, but am not a coffee drinker so I don't currently have one to try! But I think I will be looking for one or two after Christmas this year.

    I'm looking forward to reading through your blog-looks interesting and useful!

    Sorry to hear you are sick. If you don't mind suggestions :) might I add non distilled, non pasteurized apple cider vinegar to your get-well list of things to try? I live in an Islamic country where alcohol (alas, no hot toddies!) is forbidden; I've been using the apple cider vinegar for four years now and haven't been sick in all that time--I used to get at least two or more bad colds/sinus infections every year before now. And might I add that my husband and two sons who refuse to take the vinegar get sick every year!

    Whatever your medicine of choice, I do hope you get well soon.

    Kind regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend,had the same problem with comments on my blog with , when I use the Firefox browser all is well. Patrice over at Rural Revolution reports the same problems. See if installing Firefox helps! Your blog looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete