It's amazing. It's been 5 days since it rained, and the ground is still damp! It's so strange to not have the water evaporated. After such a brutally hot summer, the weather has cooled down. We have only reached the high 80s and low 90s lately, with low to mid 50s at night. Last night I put one of the oak blocks the PH brought home (we have two cords of these) in the woodstove. They are SO dense! It lasted ALL night. There was still about 1/4 left at 8 am! This is wood is so awesome.
We planted our fall garden. PS#1 came over earlier this week, and helped to get the beds outlined using some scavenged timbers.
We planted iceberg lettuce, leaf lettuce, carrots, broccoli, radishes, onions, and pumpkins. PD#1 has started seeds in her place house, it's like a mini greenhouse in there. She has little pots lined up in front of the window, and had planted lavendar, marigold, Echinacea, Mint and Catnip. She is documenting germination time and recording in a notebook. She is doing this all on her own. I think it's a good idea. We'll call this Science/Botany ;-)
We were able to purchase more plywood, and will have the second floor completely decked this weekend. After that the upstairs walls, then the roof ;-)
PH will also be picking up more downed trees from his father's place in the morning. He'll bring them back to cut and split into stove lengths. Yeah! FOUR trees worth of firewood. The trees are about 12 feet long (each) and bigger around than I can reach, so that will get us a good wood supply.
This weekend we will be working on our Sukkot booth, and learning more about the biblical holiday. We'll also be winterizing more, as temps in the 40's are expected this next week. That's COLD for South TX, and COLD for a metal building. We'll be ready.
Also on the agenda will be doctoring myself with the Echinacea Goldenbiotic Tincture, tea with honey, and DE mixed in water for the joint pain.
More apple jelly is also on the "list", as well as, laundry, watering the garden, and canning more greenbeans and corn.
The grass is turning so GREEN since we had the rain on Sunday! I am beyond excited. The horses seem to be happy too. It's amazing what 7 inches of rain will do. Here it is October and the trees are finally getting more leaves, the grass is green and everything is JUST beautiful. I wish the weather could be like this all year round (sigh).
Our congregation is also working hard on food storage preparations, and working out details for many aspects of church growth, and general preparedness. This makes me so happy, as I have been trying to get them on board for five years. It's baby steps, but I'll take it!
Next Up: Random Pictures
PD#2's Math Lesson
PS#2 Giggling
PD#2 Holding Duke and Posing All Serious Like
Plaque in my kitchen

This is a really old post and I don't know if you'll even see my comment...but I'm so encouraged that at this time you guys were celebrating Sukkot. Our family is starting this Passover endeavoring to grow in our Relationship with our Savior by observing the Lord's Feasts. I just read your article in The Goat Rancher to my family today. We are contemplating homesteading on some ground that my parents want to give us. We have about 100 head of goats, 1 steer, 3 Pyrs and 10 chickens. And are living in the country on 10 acres. The problem is the payments....free looks so much nicer even if it means starting over....anyway, thanks for the encouragment. I'm progressing through reading your BLOG and looking forward to "getting to know you and yours"
ReplyDelete