I have read a lot of blogs that talk about cloth diapering, and all these fancy, schmancy types of cloth diapers. I am just a diehard, old fashioned gal. I cloth diaper due to economic reasons, not environmental. Basically, this Prairie Mama is CHEAP.
With my first child, 22 years ago, my mother in law talked me into using cloth diapers. I really didn't want to, but I was only working part time, and my husband only made minimum wage ($3.35 at that time - yuck)! Anyway, the diapers available at that time were either these long, thin ones you had to fold to the size you wanted, or the rectangular style with a thicker middle. When my son was an infant (he was a 3lb preemie) I used Cabbage Patch diapers, because I wasn't able to fold the cloth diaper small enough. At that time (1989) preemie diapers were not sold in the store, but only to hospitals. My mom and I scoured the Toys R Us stores for the Cabbage Patch ones. They were the size of one of those small pocket Kleenex tissues. Anyway, I didn't have a washer and dryer at first. I had to soak them in the bath tub for a day, then I scrubbed each one, while bending over the tub. Then I rinsed them, wrung them by hand, and hung them on the clothes line. It was a lot of work, but it saved me a lot of money. While I hated it, I am thankful to my mother in law for telling me about cloth diapers.
With each child I have had, I used cloth diapers, even when putting my second child in daycare. There isn't a law against in Texas, so that is good. As long as I provided enough diapers and a large container with a lid, and took them home every day, the daycare was fine with it. I did have to go in for a training session and teach the caregiver how to use them.
With my third child, I stayed home full time, and was able to wash diapers on a regular basis. I had two washers at this time. I used one just for the diapers. I would empty soiled ones into the toilet, and then toss into the washer, when the washer was half full, I ran a load (normally about two days worth). I never used a diaper pail. PH was okay with the cloth diapers, as long as, he didn't smell "diaper" when he walked in the front door. I couldn't use bleach with any of the kids as they broke out in rashes. I washed in cold only, using homemade laundry soap, and hung all my clothes out to dry, except on rainy, winter days.
With the fourth child, I began to notice a trend. My diapers weren't holding up. Previously, I always bought about 5-6 dozen diapers, assorted sizes of rubber pants, and lots of pins. I still have diapers 22 years old, that are in great shape, but the 2 year old diapers I can't even use to polish the furniture. It was quite shocking. I did write the diaper company and complain, but they didn't really care...anyway, I digress (this happens a lot here, so be prepared).
Frankly, I don't know how young couples can afford disposables, especially if on one income, and more than one in diapers. It's shocking the cost of them. I do use them on occasion, but wouldn't have been able to when younger. In addition, I don't consider all these fancy "new" styles of cloth diapers, REAL cloth diapering. I am a purist. I go for cost first, and if you spend $25.00 on 3 diapers with fancy covers and velcro, it isn't cost efficient enough for me.
So, what I have learned is if you are willing to put a little work into it, and get over the yuck factor (which will happen sooner or later), you can save LOTS of money by using cloth diapers. And when the kids are potty trained, you have a bunch of great cleaning cloths!
I have also learned when you run out of diapers, and haven't had a chance to wash that old towels, tshirts, and flannel fabric are great substitues as diapers.
No comments:
Post a Comment