Saturday, February 19, 2011

Red Water

Howdy from the Prairie!

When we first retrofitted our 45' shipping container to be our Little Shipping Container Cabin on the Prairie, PH installed a water filter under the kitchen sink.  In hindsight, I think we should have had all the water for the house run through it first.  We have been experiencing red tinged water, which leaves a red film on everything it touches.  Even our 1100 gallon water tank, the walls are lined with a layer of this stuff.  You can take your fingers and rub across it, and it comes off. 

Originally I thought it was sand, but PH has determined it is rust from the high iron content in the water.  The water tastes great, the best I have ever tasted, but I guess as it sits in the tank, the iron leaches out of it onto the tank walls.  Eventually, some even settles in the bottom of the tank. 

Recently, PH emptied the tank all the way to flush out the rust-dust, scummy water on the bottom.  Now, it is filled again with fresh clean water, but I guess this will be a regular thing to do every 2 years or so. 

I have been wanting a Berkey Water Filer for 5 years now, but haven't managed to save the money or justify the expenditure.  But now, I think it may be important.  I have started saving my pennies to go towards one, but then I found out about a contest online at http://www.savingnaturally.com/ and http://www.keeperofthehome.org/ and I entered!  If you want to try and win one too, please go to the links above and enter.  It was very easy!

I'll let everyone know if I win, and if not, I'll be buying one shortly.  It will be a tremendous asset to my prepping supplies, and normal day living needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment