**I found this old blog post in the DRAFTS and decided to publish it. It is from 2012.
I am resolved to look for opportunities to share the Gospel and my testimony so that the Kingdom of God can be advanced. Please be in prayer for me as I forge ahead in obedience.
I struggle daily in my own personal walk with God, so prayer in that regards would also be appreciated.
I'd like to share my testimony, or the story of how I accepted Christ. I hope it will encourage you, and point you in the right direction.
I've always been ashamed that my conversion5 experience was so vanilla. I mean, I've never used drugs, I am not a recovering alcoholic or a prostitute. Nothing so dramatic. I was fortunate to have been raised in the church my entire life. I remember my mom and grandma Bobbe taking me to church. I loved AWANA, and memorizing scripture. I loved reading the Chronicles of Narnia and Pilgrim's Progress out of the church library, and my all time favorite the Charity Ames series.
At the age of six we attended Maranatha Independent Baptist Church in Oxon Hill Md. A movie titled "The Burning Hell" was being shown, and due to it's graphic nature my parents placed me in the nursery. I snuck out. I commando crawled all the way to the front to watch the movie. I was scared to death! I was the first one down when the Pastor gave the altar call. I remember asking Jesus into my life, and I remember being baptized in December 1975 in a freezing cold church and baptistry. I can see my mom, Grandma Bobbe and my Great Mommy (great grandma Elsie) sitting in the front row. I am sure there were others there, but in my mind that is all I remember. It was so cold; they were wearing their coats inside.
Sad to say from the age of six until I was 19, I didn't grow much spiritually. I accepted Christ, and thought that was the end, not knowing it was just the beginning. At 19 I was married and had a baby by 20. It was at his baby dedication on Mother's Day 1989 that I realized I was promising to raise this child up to know the Lord, and I didn't know how to do this at all! I was very frantic in my mind and began seeking all sorts of information on raising godly children, plus reading my Bible more. This timing was actually from God, because you see I would be going through some very difficult times ahead, so being so gung-ho to learn more about the Word of God kept me sane during these times. My baby was premature and had many health-related issues. I was young, and easily led by doctors, something for which I regret now, but it is what it is. My husband and I went through some very tough times over the years, but thankfully God intervened, and we have been married for almost 24 years.
God has been there for me in the raising of a disabled child and seeing him a man is awesome for me. A man in body, though not in mind, is very heartbreaking for me, and frustrating for me. I don't know the plans God has for him, but they are for good and not evil, and I daily trust in that..God has brought us this far, and he will continue to watch over my "little one" (my 6 foot, 240 lb little one).
I have been through persecution in a previous job, even losing that job because of my convictions and faith. Marital strife, health, financial, loss of a loved one. Everything that anyone else faces. Each situation has drawn me closer and closer to the Lord. Relying upon God to guide me has been my source of strength, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be here if I had not accepted Christ at a young age. I am a weak, and sinful person, and knowing that God is with me is the ONLY thing that gets me through the situation. Often times walking through the valley (rough times) is unbearable, it isn't until I am on the other side that I realize what I have learned. I do wish that God didn't think so much of me that he continues to give me learning experiences. ;-)
I know that God loves me, and I am thankful every day that he used my disobedience to bring me to salvation.
Growing up my favorite verses were "for unto us is born this day in the city of David, a savior, who is Christ the Lord" and "For God so loved the World (me) that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish (die) but have everlasting life. For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17
I urge you today to take God's free gift, acknowledge that you have sin in your life, and that you need Him. Believe that He sent His son to die on the cross for you and confess those sins to Him. Ask him to come into your life and make you whole. Give yourself over to Him, and you will be AMAZED at what wonders He works in your life if you let him.
No comments:
Post a Comment