We were up bright and early to get everything battened down in preparation for the cold weather that hit us this afternoon.
I left the library at 6:00 pm and the temp was 38 (down from 60 this morning). I drove 3 miles and the temps had dropped to 34. I had to stop at the hardware store to get a brooder lamp for the quail (I have eight). It is in the 20s now, raining and VERY windy. I thought it would be good to have the animals on the front porch, but the wind is blowing from the NE directly onto the porch.
When I arrived home the kids had brought the rabbits and guinea pigs inside, and one dog. The mama dog and two puppies are in the kennel behind the house (out of the wind) with another heat lamp and a ton of hay. Hope they keep warm. Oh! my chickens I forgot to put them up!
I went out just now, as my stupid chickens, refuse to stay in their coop area. The were perched outside the back door in the cold and rain. I picked them up and put them in the shelter out of the weather, and they promptly ran out. (sigh). This batch of chickens is the dumbest I have ever seen. I had ONE smart one that was snuggled down in the hay before I put the rest inside. She is my favorite :)
Man! it sure is cold out there.
On the way home I stopped at the grocery store and meat market to get my groceries. Made sloppy joes for dinner on Whole Grain buns. Very tasty!
Back to the quail...a friend gave me 12 quail eggs. Mine are not laying regularly yet. I hope that changes with the warm weather. Reading up on them their breeding season begins in March, so that's good. My goal is to be able to raise enough to butcher for us.
I cleaned the incubator tonight and have it plugged in to warm up. Tomorrow I will place the eggs inside, and in 17 days, maybe, we will have some baby quail :)
I can't wait! I get so happy when I am able to (successfully) establish a food source for my family.
Keep warm everyone!
I am jealous of your quail and your temperatures! It is -1 here now, and feels like -15 with the wind. There is a 30 minute frostbite warning. At least my chickens are staying in their coop! I'll have to check and make sure their water heater is keeping up with the cold, but I must have a cup of tea to warm up first. And I need to start a fire. This is certainly the winter of "How well are we really prepared?"
ReplyDelete