Friday, January 24, 2014

Cold Weather Update

The icy rain started, as soon as, I left work (around 6 pm).  I had a couple of stops to make (for a few grocery items and a brooder lamp for the quail).

The porch started icing over around 11 pm.  When I would step out for more wood, I had to be careful not to slip.  The heat lamp was doing great for the quail.  They had stopped shivering and were hopping around their cages.  All the animals (except for Sophie) were rushing the door and begging for a few moments of stove time.  **Sophie was a stray that came with our property.  She must have been abused, because it took us over a year to be able to pet her.  Five years later, she is happy to see us when we get home.  She lets us pet her, but she always turns over, closes her eyes and hunches over.  It is like she is remembering being hurt, but figures we probably won't hurt her.  Sometimes she even comes up to us first.  I tried to get her to come inside last night to lay by the fire, but she preferred to lay on a pile of hay by the front door.   I covered her completely with a fleece blanket and she stayed there all night.  This morning the blanket was frozen solid on top of her, but she was warm and toasty underneath and very happy she could move.

Around 4 a.m. the power went out, and along with it, the big diesel heater.  It looks something like this:


We had a fire going in the wood stove, and try to take turns getting up to add more wood, but on really cold nights, we have this plugged in, and it comes on when it gets to a certain temperature.  We keep it on low, so it has to get cold before it comes on.  It is LOUD!  But we are used to it, and it doesn't wake us up anymore, and it keeps the house really toasty.  Well, when the power was out, the silence from the heater was deafening.  PH got up and added more wood to the fire, and came back to bed.  I could hear the sleet hitting the metal roof, but we were warm and cozy.  Praise God for allowing us to build the house, because on nights like these, the container is almost unbearable.  Praise God for also giving me a husband that is capable of building us a snug, little house.  It may not be complete, but it does the job of keeping us safe and warm.  I am also thankful for the indoor toilet!  Who would want to make the dash to the container on a night/morning like this!?  We were a little concerned for our neighbors.  One with an all electric, brand-new, double-wide (no fireplace even), and the other lives in a little, un-insulated, cabin-shed.  I am sure he and his wife were a TAD chilly. We do not get much cold weather in TEXAS, but sufficient enough to require an alternate form of heat (other than electric).  Last year, we used our wood stove from the end of October until late April.  That is six months of temps in the 30s and 40s (nights primarily), definitely worth installing a wood stove, or purchasing a kerosene heater.  Something!  I strongly encourage people to think about this...

PH and I were up at 6:00 am.  I lit the kerosene lamps so he could get dressed and out of the house safely.  He had to use a flashlight to get down the front steps.  They were ICY! PH left for work around 6:30 a.m. but before he did, he dragged the quail cage into the house.  They had lost their heat lamp when the power went out.  I was worried about them, but PH doesn't like them inside, because they STINK.  I was so thankful and appreciative that he brought them inside to join the menagerie of guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs and cats.  Unfortunately, he set the brooder lamp BULB side down onto the porch, and at 9:00 am this morning when the power came on, unbeknownst to me, it started burning a hole in the porch.  By the time I noticed it, had a nice bulb-sized, round hole on the very end of one board on the porch (sigh).  Thankful it wasn't the entire house.

Coturnix Quail
It was 27 degrees when I started the car to warm it up.  I was about 5 minutes late to work due to a frozen padlock on the gate, but I arrived here to realize that the power was off here too last night, which means the heaters I left on were OFF.  The temps inside the library was 43 at 10 am, and now they are 55.  I am sitting in front of a heater, and feel mostly warm (one leg feels like I am getting burned, and my toes are frozen, but otherwise, I am good).  Cannot wait for this day to end, so that I can sit by the fire at home.  4 pm cannot come too soon for me!

I like the cold weather, but prefer to stay home on days like today.


2 comments:

  1. I use one of those salamander heaters in my basement but only when it gets down to 32 or below. Glad you survived the cold should be warming up now or at least it is here. Why it's above freezing for a change now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I couldn't believe the local school district had session when the temp yesterday morning was around -20 with the windchill. Days like that are meant to be curled up at home with a book and a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete