Friday, January 14, 2011

Making Popcorn

Being a good Prairie Wife I have a variety of food items stocked up because the grocery store is a bit of a drive.  I even have popcorn on hand.  How is that odd you ask?  Well, it isn't microwave popcorn, which is really all I have ever made for the kids.  I've been looking for a popcorn popper for awhile so that I could show the kids how to make the "real" stuff.  Then I remembered...before I was a PW I was a Prairie Daughter and my Prairie mom used a large pan on the stove and shook it back and forth.  I could just imagine my arms turning into jelly.  I finally found one today at a store today, and was able to snag it for under $20.  We came home and promptly made a huge bowl, I repeat a HUGE bowl!  No more teensy, weensy bags of microwave popcorn, but a huge, honking bowl full.  I mean I even melted butter, REAL butter to pour on it, and guess what, Prairie Daughter #2 (who is 7) hates it.  I mean who can hate REAL popcorn, with REAL butter?!  Now Prairie Son #2 (who is 2) found it to be great fun.  He ate a little, then proceeded to feed the dog, throw handfuls in the air, all over the floor and the couch.  I kept swatting PS2 with a rolled up magazine, but he thought that was incentive to throw more.  I gave up. 

Then I decided...to make popcorn on the woodstove.  You see, I was given this antique popcorn popper a long time ago (I think it was my Prairie Mom).  I put a dab of oil, a handful of popcorn, and then stuck it inside the wood stove.  DO NOT EVER DO THIS!  THE OIL WILL CATCH ON FIRE AND LEAVE LITTLE BLACK SPECKS ON YOUR POPCORN!

After blowing out the fire, I tried sliding it, and shaking it on top of the wood stove.  Here is the end result...



Looks pretty good!  Next time, I won't use oil, or maybe less oil (hmm?) and see how it turns out.  I'll let you know about it when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment