Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Heat Exchanger

Prairie Wife has been cold lately, normally I can handle the cold, but when my feet get cold, PW is not a happy mama!  Prairie Husband (PH) and I have been talking about getting a heat exchanger for the wood stove.  We both were under the impression that this was a smallish, rectangular box that was inserted in the chimney pipe between the damper and the top of the pipe.  We both assumed it was something that did not require electricity, but was thermal driven. 

I looked up the information online, and located one ON SALE at the Northern Tool in town (about 50 miles away).  With the cost of shipping it was worth driving into town one day.  I made sure to combine all my errands to help defray the cost of gas (which is almost $3.00 a gallon, can you believe it?!)

Upon arriving at the store, I meandered over to the wood stove area, and saw this huge black box on display that read "Magic Heat".  I thought it was the display model, which is why it was so huge.  After asking a salesman for help, I learned that the large box WAS the heat exchagner AND it was ELECTRIC!

I went ahead and purchased it.  Once home PH decided to take it all out of the box.  He proceeded to laugh and this huge, honking piece of metal.  We both debated if it would even fit in the spot where we have our stove.  Our cabin is only 360 sq feet, and the wood stove is crammed into a corner of our 8 foot wide cabin (it is 45 feet long), so space is a premium. 

The heat exchanger actually sat on our couch for several days while I researched online if there were smaller, non-electric versions.  There was a different type (still electric) at a Tractor Supply 20 miles away, but after driving over to look at it, I wasn't convinced. 
PH finally decided we would keep it and he would "make" it work.  I gently reminded him that if he "altered" it, the warranty would be void.  I received "the look", and went merrily on my way.

Now for those who don't know what a heat exchange really is, and have been patiently waiting with baited breath for an explanation, here it is....a heat exchanger takes the heat that is released out the chimney and returns roughly 30% back into the room.  Because we live in a metal building, any additional heat is always welcome.  The prospect of more heat was making me giddy (though I hid it well, I must say). 

Here is a picture of the Magic Heat, heat exchanger installed.  There is a cord behind it that is plugged in behind the wooden cabinet to the right, and there are two modes for the fan.  One is automatic.  Once the heat in the firebox reaches a certain temperature it comes on by itself, and then shuts off once it cools down.  Then there is the one we use, because I don't like to remember to put it on automatic.  I use the one that has the fan ON all the time, until I turn it off. 

A drawback to this, for PH, is that it requires maintenance.  It is not a plug it in and forget about it appliance.  Every so often it needs to be unplugged, opened and the cresote cleaned out of it. 

In thinking about the PROS and CONS of the Magic Heat.  I'd have to say the PROS outweigh the CONS. 

PROS:
MORE heat (two thumbs up)
Affordable ($159.00 plus tax)
Three year warranty (1 year plus paid for additional 2 yr)
It fit!
Easy to install
Great conversation piece ("what the heck is that?")

CONS:
ELECTRIC
Fan is noisy
PH says requires too much maintenance and there were too many "don'ts"

So, if you are in the market for more heat, a heat exchanger is a good way to go, IF you aren't living on solar power.  If you are, one of those thermal driven, stove-top, fans might be more your style.  (I want one of those too, to blow the heat from the surface of the stove into the room, but that's another article for another day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment