Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's "almost" Spring Time

I love this weather.  Not too hot, not too cold.  Trying to imprint it on my memory, to bring out on those looming 115 degree days that are in my near future.

Please keep an eye out on the political horizon, especially towards the end of this month.  Please try and put some food/water to the side, I expect we are going to be needing it soon.  I've been in serious contemplation and spending much time in prayer, seeking guidance.  I've basically given up on encouraging family to wake up.  I have a couple that are more aware then others, and am thankful, but worry about the others.  I've done what I've been tasked to do, and am now concentrating on each day.  Learning new skills, loving my kids, trying to be obedient to what I am commanded to do, which is often quite difficult, surprisingly.

I do not remember mentioning that we have three surprise bucklings.  Only a week old.  So cute! A set of scrawny twins born to a first time mother.  We finally let them out in the morning to run with the mom, but they are all cooped back up at night with the heat lamp, as it gets quite cold still in the evenings.  The other little guy is strong and feisty, doing flips and kicks, and keeping up with his mama.  Please pray for two of our goats.  Mariama (milk goat) has scours.  We've wormed her, but while she is still eating and getting around great, the scours hasn't stopped.  Maybe it's all the fresh green plants?  Chamomile, is in worst shape.  Cannot figure it out.  Her face is swollen, she still eats and follows the herd, but she lay downs quite a lot, and isn't "herself".

No new chicks to report.  Not ONE egg hatched from the incubator, and I am very sad :(
I am going to have to buy some new chicks (big sigh), and I was hoping to save some money.

Our new Barbado Ram is STILL a SPAZ!  He runs around like he is a wild deer, and does not even stay with the goats.  He prefers to be by himself, running all over the land, looking crazy.

Still working on the house, the downstairs paneling is just about done.  I love coming home, and walking into my wonderful house.  I know many think we are crazy for the way we live, and believe that they could not live the way we do.  I do not see anything wrong with our lifestyle.  I have eschewed materialism over necessities.  Preferring Comfort to Convenience.

Everyone keep up your preparations!


4 comments:

  1. That sounds like bottle jaw or something similar, it is a serious parasite infestation. I would take a stool sample from both of your goats and have it analyzed at the vet. It doesn't do a lot of good to deworm, if you don't know what you are deworming for. Some dewormers have lost effectiveness in specific areas.
    Check out www.fiascofarm.com for some good information on goat deworming doseages etc. Generally speaking the goat dosages for dewormers are much higher than the cattle dosages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was bottle jaw. We were too late in doctoring her. We had been using alternative worming practices (through Fiasco), and we have two goats with the severe case. One I had to shoot this morning, and the other isn't as progressed. We will be doctoring the others using Ivomec Plus, administering Red Cell supplements and providing B Complex injections.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry to read you lost your goat. One of the things with natural methods (and I am certainly not against them) is you really must do regular fecal samples to be sure they are working. Most dewormers (including chemical types) are specific to a few types of worms. So, if you don't have a fecal sample tested you are kinda shooting in the dark (with out night vision!) and hoping you hit something. I'm not a veternarian, but I did work for one for about ten years and I have seen what serious parasite infestations can do to animals.

      On a happier note, I really enjoy your blog.

      Delete
  2. Hey my friend. So sorry about the goats! Looks like we will be moving before the big summer heat hits. Our daughter and her hubs are going to buy our house. They are qualifying now and hopefully within 60 days or so we will be out of the city! I am looking for land with surface water, well, and some trees! Pray as we transition...you know how excited I am! Miss you..

    ReplyDelete