I think we have used more wood this year to heat the house, than in the five years combined. Normally, we do not use the wood stove day in/day out, but this year...wow! We are flying through the wood, and we were getting worried about not having enough. Thankfully, my FIL gave us two large oak trees, and I mean trees. The trunks are HUGE. They were loaded on the trailer with the front end loader, and PH will have to cut and split them on the trailer, because we have no other way to get them off the trailer.
We like to have a two year supply, but we will be lucky to have enough to finish this season, which is shocking to me. Living on the prairie, trees are not in abundance. We have rather spindly trees out here, and we aren't one of the lucky ones to have Live Oak on our property. We have a few Mesquite and some Huisache.
The high for today is 45, and before I left the property, I made sure to put a large oak block in the stove (hoping to keep the house above 60 at least). It will be burned out by now, but there should still be some embers left for PH to get the fire going pretty fast once he gets home with the kids.
The pantry is TOTALLY finished. All walls insulated, hardi plank paneling in place AND painted, with trim. I am so excited! I moved in a large shelving unit that the library was throwing away, and with my other two metal shelving units, it looks like a mini grocery store. I now have shelving for my medical supplies, and odds and ends (twine, candles, wicks, etc.) Next will be to get my wheat grinder from the library (still hear since Heritage Skills Day) and put it in it's place in the pantry. Can't wait to be able to use it again.
PH started paneling the living room wall. He has finished the small wall by the stairway, and the walls leading into the master bedroom (our room is completely enclosed now), plus the south wall of the living room. Half of the wall is 1 X 6 tongue and groove planks, and the other half cement board for the future rock wall behind the wood stove. PH actually hung my two prized pictures on the wall. I say prized, because I do not have any others. I normally subscribe to the Shaker theory of home decoration. It has to be plain and useful :)
We are on our last ground venison, and I am praying that PH will get out there soon and harvest another deer before the season is over, or is it already? I'll have to check...
Have a good night and keep warm!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the pantry being totally finished! Now time to stock it the way you want it for the year
:-)
I believe hunting season in Oklahoma is finished for the season. I'm not sure on Texas though.
Gosh, we had all kinds of trees down in town it's to bad we don't live closer. You could of had your wood stocked for years with those trees.
Anyway, I hope the family is well, give the kids a hug and take care.
Sandy
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I have heard of Kobe beef and always wanted to taste it, but this is my first notice of Wagyu beef. If I ever find myself at a fancy, high end restaurant where they serve Wagyu I will definately give it a try. I like those cuts of fatty ribeye steaks the best!
ReplyDeleteSwamp Dog - I have NEVER been to a fancy restaurant that served Wagyu LOL. I was able to purchase a 1/16th share (50 lbs) of Wagyu from a rancher here in South TX. My husband says it was THE best T-bone he ever had, and each piece of meat in the share was EXCELLENT! The worst, was a 1/2 steer we purchased that was grass fed Angus. We are raising our own now (Charloais) and will see how it turns out :)
Delete