Friday, November 9, 2012
Light and fluffy
I don't know if it is post-election depression, SADD (you know that disorder when you do not get enough sunlight) or what.. but I am DEPRESSED and unmotivated. You would think the results of the election would have spurred me onward, and seriously motivated me to prep more. In my head I do, in my heart I don't. I am so tired, and do not know which way to go. I need some focus.
Larry (our big buck) was screaming when I went outside this morning to feed the chickens. He loves to jump up on his hind legs and bring the branches of the Huisache trees down for all the does to eat. Well, the Nimrod, apparently wedged his front, right, hoof into the "V" of the tree branch and got it stuck. The branch snapped up, and he was left dangling in the air screaming. This happened a few times to some of the bigger does, and babies, but never the bucks. Normally, I can lift the little ones up and un-wedge their foot. But Larry, is probably 250 lbs with these LONG, pointy horns. He would be still while I tried to free his foot, but then something would cause him to thrash around kicking his other three feet, and flinging his head. PD#1 came out to try and help, and ran back for the hand saw, chain saw, and hammer. (Three different trips, she wasn't happy). I tried to saw the branch off but the hand saw was taking too long, the chain saw wouldn't start, so finally I used the hammer, and banged his food out of the V. It was stuck TIGHT! I am not sure if his leg is broken, but if it isn't, the bottom of his hoof is going to be really sore from that hammer. I wish I had a camera, the image of him hanging from a tree is PRICELESS.
I was able to plant some Amish pie pumpkins, broccoli, cilantro and lettuce in the garden. Still planting more, and the Garlic Chives plant that I put in the garden in March is thriving! I need more of those, apparently, I can't kill that one. :)
PH was able to bring the glass-fronted, wood stove from the barn to the house this week. I dusted it all off, and we have decided (thanks to my suggestion) to place it in the center of the house, rather then against the South wall. The chimney will go straight out the roof, instead of the side wall, which is apparently cheaper to do too! I think by having it in the center of the house it will more efficiently heat the place, and it is really a much better location, as I have limited walls in the living room to place furniture, and it would have been awkward in the initial location.
I was able to pick up quite a few pumpkins to can (one did get soft, and the chickens appreciated the treat), at the local, grocery store's after Halloween sale. PS#2 did end up with a strange looking pumpkin. It is a Cinderella pumpkin, and was a bright, reddish-orange with green splotches. He really liked that one. If it survives Thanksgiving, I will can it too.
So far 1/2 of the downstairs has been insulated (1/2 west, south and east walls). Still have 1/2 the west, and all of the North to complete. The North wall will be the last done though, as PH still needs to run the 220 to the kitchen area. I am still pushing for a gas range, though he isn't cooperating :) I'd really like PH to insulate and finish the west wall in the pantry, so I could move my shelving in there. I really want everything up off the floor and organized before my mother visits (next week maybe), but I don't believe I will make it. In addition, I really need to keep cleaning the container. I thought I was cleaning the past four years, but not good enough. I am disgusted about how much dirt is in the container, and how sooty the walls are inside. Things are stacked everywhere. I'd love to get organized, but I feel overwhelmed. I'd love help, but don't know who to ask. It's so cluttered, that I do not know where to start first, plus I have that "sad" thing going on :)
*I feel compelled to add a footnote here. Please do not take my blog as "Light and Fluffy" because I do not show pictures of weapons, or talk about the Usurper in Chief all the time. I am deadly serious about making sure my family is provided for, and constantly work in all areas of preparation. Yes, I worry about being labeled a terrorist by those in control, but those that know me, will scoff at that charge. I was born an American, and have been a long time Patriot, working diligently to do what I can to help this once great country. I cannot say I will die an American, because while I still have some glimmer of hope for America, I am pinning all my hopes on TEXAS secession. I will be heartbroken yet again, if it doesn't happen, but I still ready my family. Self-sufficiency is not a bad thing. The government and the liberal media tout that it is, but they are the "bad thing". If our ancestors were not self-sufficient, they would have not been able to survive those first years at Jamestown (yes the natives did help, but they were also were relying solely on themselves and not the government they left). George Washington would not have helped survey the land west, thus encouraging additional settlers to make the trek over the Appalachian mountains. The pioneers heading west on the Oregon Trail would have not been able to survive (though some didn't make it). Even the legendary Ingalls family wouldn't have been able to survive the Long, Harsh Winter on the Minnesota prairie without being self-sufficient.
Do I need my government? Not in the state it is now. I need them to fulfill ONLY their responsibilities under the law, the true law, the Constitution. I don't need them to take away my land, my provisions, my freedom of speech, or any other of my freedoms outlined in the Bill of Rights. I don't need them to micro-manage my life, because frankly, they can't even run the government. I need to be left alone to purse my sense of happiness without their interference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Now that would have been a site to see, your buck hanging by his leg from the tree branch.
ReplyDeleteYour Mom will love seeing your house, and all the updates you and PH did to it.
I picked up several packets of heirloom pumpkin seeds and harvested the seeds from our pumpkins we bought from the farmers market for next planting season. I've never seen a reddish orange pumpkin with green spots on it before, do you have any history on it. Maybe where it orginated from?
The election was so disappointing, I do understand how you feel. I was upset and then realized life will continue on. The economy will eventually take that nose dive, faster now that "O" has been re-elected. I want the government to do their jobs, stop spending money like it's growing on trees, take responsiblity for their actions and stop trying to control our lives and take away our freedoms.
It was nice to see you back posting, don't work to hard. Keep your chin up, things will get better for those who have prepared.
love reading you blog as always :) I can come help you on Mondays if you want We can clean up and chat;)
ReplyDelete