Saturday, December 17, 2011

Prairie Fruitcake


 I am reading this book called "A Prairie Christmas Collection".  It is a collection of 9 historical Christmas Christian romances.  Each short story has recipes.  I thought I'd share this one with you for Prairie Fruitcake.

1/2 cup shortening/lard
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
generous dash of nutmeg
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 to 1 cup dried fruit (raspberries, blackberries or any dried tart fruit like cranberries or cherries)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Extra brown sugar for topping, about 1/2 cup

Grease and flour a 9 X 13 inch pan.
Cream together the first four ingredients.  Mix in the applesauce.  Add the baking soda, salt and spices.  Blend in the flour and the water. 
Stir in the remaining ingredients.  sprinkle additional brown sugar on the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment