Saturday, July 23, 2011

Building and Preparing

PH and I are starting to build our house.  Well, no building has happened yet, but the dimensions for the house has been laid out with string, squared and 20 holes for the pier and beam foundation have been dug.  PH is scouting the best price for the posts he plans to use.  We will be getting them and the concrete this next week.

We are feeling some urgency to get more prepared food wise/self sufficient wise.  I've been too complacent the past year or so, raising a baby takes the focus off sometimes, the lack of sleep I suppose.  Being in my 40's with a baby doesn't help, I feel the brain drain ;-)

I re-organized my pantry this week, cleaned out old items (not many Praise God), wiped them off, and took a stock of what I need.  I have let things get seriously low (though my family still believes I am a food hoarder LOL!)

A few items on my list so I won't forget:

chocolate chips
baking powder
baking soda
powdered milk
milking bucket
strainer
cheesecloth
rennet
canning lids
flour (100 lbs on hand)
wheat berries (only 300 lbs left)
sugar (35 lbs)
cornmeal
shampoo
bleach
sewing needles
dental repair kit (6 of them)
herbal meds
firewood (only 3 cords)
new jar for churn
wash board
lye (I guess I could make my own)
shoes/boots
more seeds (never enough)
roofing nails
more tools
incubate more chicks
extra blades for bone saw

I've canned for awhile but only ever jam/jelly and pickles, sometimes tomatoes.  I have branched out this year, and have 3 quarts of pinto beans (LOL).  I use the pressure canner for the first time the other night.  Hoping to start canning some meat soon.  We'll be butchering another goat, and I plan to take the meat and get it made into ground meat.  I'll then brown it and can it.  I am not a big freezer person.  I have had one for only two years.  I'd like to stock it full, but realistically if I don't get most of it canned, I anticipate it going bad if I ever lose power.  It is something I think about every time the power goes out.  PH never has enough fuel for the generator.  That is our one prep area we disagree on.  He doesn't want to store fuel, and I do..So guess what, we don't (sigh).  PH needs a smack on the head. ;-)

Our congregation is working towards preparation, and using our land as a retreat if necessary.  I'll lay out the plans more in the next few weeks as we finalize goals/plans.  This is a big step for our congregation, as most have not supported the need for preparing, no matter that Proverbs 31 tells us to do so.

We've enlarged the pond/water holding area, so that there is water in each pasture now for the animals.  I don't know if I mentioned this before, sorry if I am repeating myself.  Living on the prairie in the hot, Texas sun is addling this Prairie mama's brain at times.  Ordering fish to stock the pond is on the list, and will be accomplished as we approach the fall.  Too hot now, and we want to give the little feeder fish a good start during cooler weather.

PD#1 has been working closely with me in the kitchen lately.  Part of her schooling/homemaking class.  We will start more intensely in the Fall.  I am ordering a new curriculum for her called "Above Rubies".  There is another prepping curriculum I am ordering too...

Off to work on my lists: clothing, tools, food, fuel and MORE...

No comments:

Post a Comment