Red Rock Pond

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year!

It's the third already, so I am a little late with the well wishes, but I've been off of work, and I do not have a computer at home, so cut me a little slack please.

The weather here has been decidedly chilly lately, primarily overnight.  Since we heat with wood it has been a chore to get up every 2 hours or so to keep the fire going.  Fortunately, we have started using large oak  blocks, which can mean I only have to get up every 3 1/2 to 4 hours, which is a plus.  PH RARELY gets up and stokes the fire during the night.  For some unknown reason he believe it is my job to do so.  I have no idea why??

Christmas Eve we spent the time with my mom and family at my sister's.  It was nice, though a long, squished drive.  Six of us squeezed into a pickup cab (front and back) along with gifts, doesn't make for a comfortable hour or so ride home.  Plus, we picked up two motorbikes from her.  Her boys (now young men) were too big for them, and my kids just love zooming all over the land.  PH was able to spend a couple of hours tuning them up and getting them running, though this chilly weather isn't exactly conducive to keep them running great.

Along with the fellowship and gift giving, we exchanged a rather nasty cold.  I came down sick the day after Christmas, and was in bed for two days.  On the third day I had to drag myself out of bed because people had to eat and such.  I feel recovered now, though I have a nagging cough, especially in the evening when I lay down to sleep (sigh).  So far, PD#1 and PS#2 have fallen ill.  PH and PD#2 have managed to escape (so far).  PD#2 is diligently taking the Watkins Rezist Immune Booster herbal caplets.  She has to break them in four pieces to get it down (it's a horse pill for sure!)  PD#1 is not recovering well, though I am beginning to suspect she is milking it.  In my opinion, if you are well enough to argue with your siblings, then you are good enough to get out of the bed and get your own food/drink.  So, to her sad dismay, she is up and dressed today.

The house, barn, and land is in sad shape.  This cold weather forces me to stay inside more than I'd like, which means maintenance suffers.  Laundry needs to be done, as well as, dishes.  Oh boy! do the dishes need to be done.  PH has been hunting an adapter for our kitchen faucet, to try and connect the dishwasher we were given.  We have about figured out, we will be washing dishes by hand forever.  Which is fine, I've only had a dishwasher once for a year, so am used to manual washing.  I just had these hopes you know??

PH has been s-l-o-w-l-y working on the house.  A few boards here, some insulation there.  We have a bad case of the blahs lately.  I am stuck on where to continue to stock up.  It is overwhelming.  So much to be done, so little time and money to get it accomplished.  Some days I feel like throwing in the towel, though I know it isn't the thing to do.

We didn't go over board on the gifts this year, trying to keep the focus of the day where it belongs.  We did receive a few really good useful gifts.  $100.00 gift card to Home Depot, a LARGE cast iron dutch oven (w/legs), candles, socks, coins, tools, new jeans and such.  I think next year, we will strive for an entire homemade holiday.  We didn't spend a lot, but all that we did could have gone towards more preparations.

A few areas to concentrate this next year are:

completing pantry
purchasing canning jar lids
water filter(s)
ammunition
gardening
canning more - 600 quart goal
organizing storage container
setting up sewing area
clean up land
increase wood pile

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to You and the family sweetie!!!

    I'm glad to hear you had a nice Christmas. It sounds like the kids are enjoying the motorbikes.

    Colds/flu seems to be the big thing this winter. I hope you and the family get well soon.

    Stay warm, don't work to hard, I will catch you later.

    Your Friend,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick kiddos here too! Hope to call soon when we are all well! Just canned 12 quarts of turkey soup...Never enough!

    ReplyDelete